Four escape unhurt from Everett blaze

EVERETT — A woman and three children escaped a burning home early Saturday morning without injury.

Everett firefighters were dispatched to the fire on the 3600 block of Geyer Lane at about 4:56 a.m.

From about two blocks away, firefighters spotted a large column of smoke and flames coming out of the house, Assistant Fire Marshal Eric Hicks said. About 20 firefighters arrived to find flames coming out of several windows.

A woman had been sleeping in a second-floor bedroom when the sound of a fire alarm woke her. She smelled smoke and quickly went to the basement where three children were sleeping. They escaped from the basement and called 911.

It took firefighters about 50 minutes to extinguish the fire, Hicks said. They continued to monitor hot spots until about noon Saturday.

Firefighters have determined that the cause of the blaze was electrical but it is pending further investigation, Hicks said.

There were no injuries reported. The home appears to be a total loss.

After the fire, a woman who rents part of the house returned to find the damages. The American Red Cross is helping her find a place to stay with her two children who live with her part time, Hicks said.

The woman who escaped the fire and her two children are being supported by a group from their church, he said. The third child was a family friend staying overnight at the home.

Hicks credits working fire alarms for saving the four lives.

“The family could have easily been trapped inside the house if it hadn’t been for the smoke alarm going off at the right time,” he said.

Hicks reminds people check to make sure fire alarms are working properly. He recommends having one installed in every sleeping area and on every level of a building.

More in Local News

Within an hour, 2 planes crash-land at Paine Field

One simply landed hard and went off the end of a runway. Another crash involved unextended landing gear.

Mill Creek’s Donna Michelson ready to retire at year’s end

The city’s longest-serving council member says she has every intention of staying involved.

Leanne Smiciklas, the friendly lady who served customers of her husband’s Old School Barbeque from a schoolbus parked in front of the Reptile Zoo east of Monroe, has died at 64. (Dan Bates / Herald file)
Without her, beloved BBQ hotspot in Monroe can’t go on

Leanne Smiciklas, who ran the now-closed Old School BBQ along Highway 2 with her husband, died.

Foundation awards grants to Arlington schools

The Arlington Education Foundation on Nov. 13 presented a check to the… Continue reading

Snohomish County firefighters head to California for 18 days

They’re from Fire District 26 in Gold Bar, Getchell Fire and Fire District 7.

State commission reprimands Snohomish County judge for DUI

Judge Marybeth Dingledy had pleaded guilty and was sentenced to a day in jail.

Driver arrested after car strikes pedestrian in Everett

The pedestrian was crossing the road near 12th Street and Broadway. He was injured.

Active Casino Road volunteer honored for work

Molina Healthcare recently honored Jorge Galindo, from Everett, as one of its… Continue reading

Over $12K raised to InspireHER

InspireHER, a local organization that encourages female empowerment, raised over $12,000 at… Continue reading

Most Read