Friday night standoff in Martha Lake netted two burglary suspects

  • Tue Jan 17th, 2012 7:03pm
  • News

By Rikki King Herald Writer

EVERETT — An overnight SWAT standoff on Friday in the Lynnwood area was connected to a violent burglary in Everett earlier this month.

One of the people arrested also is accused of taking part in a deadly home-invasion robbery last year in the Marysville area.

Everett police have been investigating a Jan. 5 burglary in which two men reportedly broke into an Everett home, bound and attacked a man there, and stole some of the victim’s property, according to court papers.

The next day, a Lynnwood police officer found some of the stolen property during a traffic stop. Information from that stop led Everett detectives to two men who were believed to be staying at a home in the Martha Lake area, according to court papers.

On Friday afternoon, Everett’s Special Weapons and Tactics team members were joined by Snohomish and King county SWAT teams outside the home near Fourth Avenue W. and Lakeview Road.

Officers blocked off the neighborhood and, at one point, a sheriff’s helicopter roved overhead.

Everett police needed the extra manpower to arrest the suspects and to serve a search warrant at the home, Sgt. Robert Goetz said Tuesday.

For every warrant, police must weigh the severity of the suspected crimes as well as the criminal history of the people believed to be involved, Goetz said. Friday’s raid had been deemed particularly dangerous.

The two men initially refused to cooperate but eventually surrendered about 2 a.m. Saturday, police said.

Both were booked into Snohomish County Jail for investigation of first-degree burglary.

One of them, Kenneth E. Rehak, 32, of Lynnwood, also was booked for investigation of kidnapping, robbery and assault in connection with a separate Snohomish County sheriff’s Major Crimes investigation. Rehak made a court appearance on Tuesday and was being held without bail. Records show he recently was released from prison.

Sheriff’s detectives have been investigating a messy home-invasion robbery in the Marysville area. Court papers filed over the weekend indicate that police believe Rehak was involved.

Detectives have declined to share many details while they work the case. The robbery reportedly involved connections to drug trafficking and multiple people believed to belong to various gangs.

A man suspected of being involved in the Marysville robbery was found dead earlier this month, buried near Granite Falls, according to court papers.

Other than Saturday’s arrest, the SWAT raid doesn’t appear to have much else to do with the Marysville home-invasion robbery case, sheriff’s bureau chief Kevin Prentiss said.

That case remains under active investigation, he said Tuesday.

“It’s a very complicated case,” he said.

Rikki King: 425-339-3449;