SEATTLE — A fire hydrant failed as firefighters responded to a house fire Thursday morning in Seattle.
Spokesman Kyle Moore said it was on a secondary line after the primary fire hose had been started.
The hydrant shot water into the air until a city utility crew turned it off.
The fire damaged the interior and roof of a two-story house in the Lake City neighborhood. No one was at home at the time.
The fire department reports the fire was started by an electrical problem in the wall. Damage is estimated at $75,000.
KIRO-TV reported that water from the broken hydrant flooded a nearby home and the parking lot of an apartment building.