Judge closes hearing for boy charged in slayings

COEUR D’ALENE, Idaho — A northern Idaho judge has closed the preliminary hearing for a 14-year-old boy charged with killing his father and younger brother.

The Spokesman-Review reports that the attorney for Eldon Gale Samuel III asked that the hearing be closed because sensitive information made public could make it difficult for Samuel to receive a fair trial and also affect his chances for rehabilitation.

Samuel is charged with two counts of first-degree murder in the March 24 deaths of his father, Eldon Samuel Jr., 46, and his brother, 13-year-old Jonathan Samuel, inside a home owned by St. Vincent de Paul North Idaho.

“The court never lightly excludes the public,” 1st District Magistrate Judge Clark A. Peterson said Tuesday in announcing the decision.

Peterson said he had to consider the rights of “a very unique defendant” against the need to preserve public access. He noted that Samuel is still a juvenile even though he has been charged as an adult. Hearings for juveniles, he said, don’t share the same legal expectation for openness as hearings for adults.

No date has been set for the preliminary hearing, during which Peterson will decide if there’s enough evidence to go forward with a trial.

Peterson said he wasn’t sealing court records or future hearings in the case, as the public defender’s office had requested.

“Eldon is a 14-year-old boy. He’s been accused of patricide and fratricide,” said Jay Logsdon, a Kootenai County public defender. If the accusations are true, “he’s clearly got some psychological issues.”

According to investigators, the boy told them his father fired a pistol outside the house, then came inside, where a dispute arose between the two. Samuel said his father pushed him twice in the chest, after which Samuel took the gun and shot his father in the stomach.

He described his father crawling toward his brother’s room, and described shooting his father twice more in the cheek and once in the temple, according to authorities.

Samuel said he then used a shotgun, knife and machete to kill his brother, who was hiding under his bed, investigators said. Jonathan Samuel had cuts and wounds on his skull, arm, hand and leg, the police report said.

Logsdon contended that because the events were “a family tragedy” and not aimed at strangers, the public had less of a vested interest in getting details at a preliminary hearing.

Prosecutors argued against closing the preliminary hearing, noting the seriousness of the charges.

More in Local News

Suspect sought in two Everett bank robberies

He’s described as 5-foot-10 to 6-foot-1, with dark hair and a goatee, and may have a neck tattoo.

Jogger unharmed after fending off attacker in Edmonds

Police released video of a man they believe to be the attacker.

Two missing men found, one alive and one dead

The man found alive was found in an apartment across the hallway and taken to a hospital.

Darrington School Board dealing with upheavals

The crux of the controversy seems to be the superintendent’s job.

Alaska Airlines has selected destinations for new service from Paine Field. (Alaska Airlines)
Alaska Airlines will fly from Everett to 8 West Coast cities

Two destinations that didn’t make the list were Spokane and Hawaii.

Three teens arrested for Marysville school vandalism

Windows were broken and a trash bin was on fire Sunday night at a Marysville middle school.

Langley mayor threatens newspaper with lawsuit

The mayor threatened to sue the paper over claims he withheld public records disclosure information.

Divers called to recover body after train hits pedestrian

The accident was reported by a BNSF crew near Woods Creek in Monroe.

Katharine Graham, then CEO and chairwoman of the board of The Washington Post Co., looks over a copy of The Daily Herald with Larry Hanson, then The Herald’s publisher, during her visit to Everett on Sept. 20, 1984. The Washington Post Co. owned The Herald from 1978 until 2013. (Herald archives)
A local connection to history

Retired Herald publisher Larry Hanson remembers The Post’s Katharine Graham, who visited several times.

Most Read