Kitzhaber says he was misled about Cover Oregon

SALEM, Ore. — Gov. John Kitzhaber said Thursday that he was led to believe in the run-up to the troubled rollout of Oregon’s health insurance exchange that problems developing the website would not prevent it from launching on time.

The governor said he won’t know who misled him about the website’s progress or what went wrong until he hears back from a technology firm he has hired to investigate.

In the years before the website’s failed launch, Kitzhaber said he heard from legislators and other observers that there were problems with the exchange, but he was always later assured that the concerns had been addressed.

“What possible motivation could I have to knowingly roll out a website that was going to fail?” Kitzhaber, a Democrat, told reporters at a legislative forum organized by The Associated Press. “Clearly, there’s a disconnect, and I’m not going to know what happened until we get an external, independent review.”

The Cover Oregon website was supposed to launch in October, but it still can’t enroll anyone from start to finish. There are no estimates for when it will be working. The state has contracted with Frist Data Government Solutions LP to dig into it at a cost of $228,000.

Kitzhaber praised a backup system that allows people to complete some steps online but requires human intervention from state workers and temporary staff hired to process applications. The process has enrolled nearly 90,000 people in coverage, 32,000 with private insurers and the rest in the publicly funded Oregon Health Plan, the state’s version of Medicaid. Another 120,000 people have signed up directly for Medicaid using a process that bypasses Cover Oregon.

Democratic legislative leaders sought to distance themselves from Cover Oregon’s problems, pointing out that the legislation creating the exchange had bipartisan support and extolling the organization’s successful enrollments.

“We do have problems with Cover Oregon, and the way that the legislation was passed, a lot of authority was given to the executive branch,” said House Speaker Tina Kotek, D-Portland.

Democrats in the House have proposed legislation that would allow the governor to fire the entire Cover Oregon board, instead of just three members per year as is currently allowed, and require an independent quality-assurance review on large technology projects, among other proposals.

Rep. Mike McLane, the Republican leader, said Democrats are trying hard to absolve themselves of blame for the Cover Oregon problems.

“The most dangerous place in this building is between a Democrat lawmaker and a microphone as they all rush to denounce Cover Oregon,” McLane said.

More in Local News

Inclusion super important to Monroe High senior

Sarah Reeves worked to make homecoming more representative of the student population.

Man, 60, in critical condition after Bothell crash

Police believe the driver may have been speeding when he hit a rock wall.

FBI operation arrests 3 linked to exploitation of 32 women

The sting focused on Everett and other cities in Snohomish, King, Pierce, Skagit and Spokane counties.

Man arrested in Monroe Walmart robbery; second suspect flees

The pair fled in a stolen Mitsubishi Lancer with a distinctive green spray paint job.

Fugitive convict, missing more than a year, surrenders

Charles Coggins, 60, turned himself in Monday. He could now spend up to 30 days behind bars.

Former homeless camp needs needles and garbage cleaned up

The Hand Up Project will lead a volunteer effort this weekend on wooded land south of Everett.

County Council postpones vote on conservation programs

A decision on funding agricultural and water-quality programs will come after the budget process.

A Q&A with the candidates running for Snohomish County Council

Republican incumbent Sam Low faces Democratic challenger Kristin Kelly in District 5.

Gang member sentenced as an adult for first-degree assault

Seth Friendly was 16 when he shot at a 17-year-old girl who was dating a rival gang member.

Most Read