Man gets life in slaying of burned Ohio woman

ZANESVILLE, Ohio — A man was sentenced Monday to life in prison without the possibility of parole in the death of a severely burned 29-year-old woman who was found wailing along a rural eastern Ohio road.

The judge followed the recommendation of the jury in sentencing LaFonse Dixon Jr., 34, of Canton. He had been eligible for the death penalty, but the jury recommended that Dixon be spared after hearing evidence of his troubled upbringing.

Two women pleaded guilty in the case to avoid the death penalty and testified against Dixon. They said the trio took Celeste Fronsman, of Canton, to rural Muskingum County, where she was set on fire and abandoned in August 2012. A driver found the woman on the road, bleeding and with a strap around her neck. She died two days later.

“Ms. Fronsman died a horrific death at your hands,” Muskingum County Common Pleas Judge Kelly Cottrill told Dixon. “Your self-absorbed, anything-goes lifestyle led directly to her death.”

Prosecutors said the attack was retaliation stemming from the belief that Fronsman tipped police to a drug stash house.

Defense attorneys had argued that Dixon wasn’t involved and that the women who testified, Katrina Culberson and Monica Washington, were liars trying to save themselves.

The driver who found Fronsman on the road testified that she was wailing in pain and her skin was falling off but she had enough strength to name at least two of her attackers.

Another judge on Monday sentenced Washington to life in prison, with a chance of parole after 25 years.

“We believe justice was served,” Prosecutor Mike Haddox said after Dixon and Washington were sentenced. He said Dixon’s sentence included 11 years in prison for a kidnapping charge in addition to the life term.

Prosecutors are recommending life in prison without parole for Culberson. She is scheduled to be sentenced Wednesday.

More in Local News

Longboarders from near and far hit the trail in Arlington

The Centennial Sk8 Festival was serious competition for some and just for fun for others.

Signs show the rates for using the express toll lanes for traffic headed southbound on Interstate 405, Tuesday, Feb. 16, 2016, in Bothell, Wash. Gov. Jay Inslee announced plans Tuesday to try to decrease congestion on I-405 in answer to commuter complaints that the new express lane tolling system is making traffic worse. The governor said he would not be shutting down the tolling system as some people have called for. But the state transportation department is making plans to add new northbound general purpose lanes to ease some of the congestion and also plan to make it easier to move into and out of the express lanes. (AP Photo/Elaine Thompson)
After a 2-year trial, are I-405’s toll lanes here to stay?

Lawmakers will decide whether to keep them or end the experiment and try something else.

Weary drivers using toll lanes say they have little choice

Congestion continues to be a tedious reality for commuters on I-405, which is as clogged as ever.

Council passes six-month moratorium on safe injection sites

Proposal by County Councilman Nate Nehring passed unanimously.

Terrace woman held following collision in Everett

The three occupants in vehicle were transported to a local hospital in serious condition.

Information sought on drive-by shooting in Everett

Debris from an apparent crash, evidence of gunfire found in the 2800 block of California Street.

Crews recover body of man who fell over Wallace Falls

The area where the man fell is called Sky Valley Lookout, 2.4 miles from the parking lot.

Herald photos of the week

A weekly collection of The Herald’s best images by staff photographers and… Continue reading

This week’s Herald Super Kid is Nathan Nicholson of Snohomish High School. (Dan Bates / The Herald)
‘The future is biotech,’ but for now he’s busy with everything

Snohomish senior Nathan Nicholson is a student leader and media master.

Most Read