Man in critical condition after saving baby, fiance from house fire

SPOKANE — A man who was trapped in a burning Spokane home is fighting for his life at a Seattle hospital with burns over 65 percent of his body.

Fire officials say 28-year-old Shawn Apperson was trapped in a bedroom basement of his home Tuesday after helping his fiance and their 11-month-old baby climb out a window. He didn’t fit through the window and was later found by firefighters.

Firefighters and neighbors also rescued three other children from the home in the Hillyard neighborhood.

Fire Chief Bobby Williams told The Spokesman-Review the fire was started by smoking materials that smoldered after a house guest left for work.

Apperson is in the intensive care unit at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle.

More in Local News

Snohomish County has its own history of train derailments

This morning’s wreck in DuPont is not affecting train service to points north and east of Seattle.

Wildlife, guns and property taxes are on the agenda in 2018

State lawmakers are pre-filing bills they hope to pass in the 2018 legislative session.

Spring start set for big Everett apartment complex

The building will be eight stories tall, with seven of those visible from Broadway.

Two from Oak Harbor killed in head-on, 2-car crash

One car crossed the center line, hitting the other car. Both drivers died.

Clues in recovered backpack help identify robbery suspect

Police find a ticket with the man’s name on it after an attempted shoplifting at a Safeway.

Herald photos of the week

A weekly collection of The Herald’s top images by staff photographers and… Continue reading

Police presence returns to Edmonds School District

Jacob Hubby is set to walk the halls of Meadowdale High School as a school resource officer.

County budget takes effect without Somers’ signature

The council passed its version with unanimous support and could have overridden an executive veto.

Separate Everett fires send man to hospital, damage boat

The man was hospitalized for smoke inhalation from the early morning fire.

Most Read