Mobile home fire blamed on stove top burner

EVERETT — A fire that destroyed a mobile home south of Everett on Monday afternoon was started by a stove top burner that was accidentally left turned on, according to fire investigator.

The fire was reported at 4:25 p.m. by neighbors who spotted smoke coming from a double-wide mobile home at Carriage Club Estates in the 13300 block of Highway 99 north of Lynnwood. An elderly woman living in the home was away at the time of the fire.

It took firefighters about 20 minutes to get the fire under control. The mobile home was a total loss, Snohomish County Fire District 1 spokeswoman Leslie Hynes said.

The Snohomish County Fire Marshal’s Office investigated the fire and discovered a burner on the stove top accidentally had been left turned on, she said.

Cooking is the leading cause of home fires, according to the National Fire Protection Association. Two of every five home fires begin in the kitchen, more than any other place in the home. Cooking fires are also the leading cause of home fire-related injuries.

More in Local News

A customer walks away after buying a hot dog from a vendor on 33rd St and Smith Street near the Everett Station on Friday. The Everett Station District Alliance pictures the area east of Broadway and south of Hewitt Avenue as a future neighborhood and transit hub that could absorb expected population growth. (Andy Bronson / The Herald)
How can Everett Station become a vibrant part of city?

A neighborhood alliance focused on long-term revitalization will update the public Tuesday.

Man arrested after police find van full of drugs, cash and guns

An officer on patrol noticed a vehicle by itself in the middle of a WinCo parking lot at 2 a.m.

After work to address issues, Lynnwood gets clean audit

The city has benefited from increased revenues from sales tax.

Bolshevik replaces BS in Eyman’s voters pamphlet statement

The initiative promoter also lost a bid to include a hyperlink to online coverage of the battle.

Man with shotgun confronts man on toilet about missing phone

Police say the victim was doing his business when the suspect barged in and threatened him.

Detectives seek suspect in woman’s homicide

Alisha Michelle Canales-McGuire was shot to death Wednesday at a home south of Paine Field.

Car crashes near Everett after State Patrol pursuit

The driver and a second person in the car suffered injuries.

Voter registration deadline looms

Oct. 30 is the deadline for new voter registrations prior to the General Election.

This week’s Herald Super Kid is Nathan Nicholson of Snohomish High School. (Dan Bates / The Herald)
One driven Panther

Snohomish senior Nathan Nicholson a student leader, social media master.

Most Read