Monroe officials blame chicks’ heat lamp for house fire

MONROE — An indoor heat lamp used for warming young chickens was blamed for sparking a house fire early Tuesday that sent two people to the hospital.

A man, 31, suffered smoke injuries and a woman, 59, hurt her arm and hip when she jumped from a second-story window to escape the blaze, Monroe city spokeswoman Debbie Willis said.

The fire was reported just after 5 a.m. in the 22300 block of 116th Street SE, Willis said.

Investigators believe that the fire started in the living room, where the family was keeping a box of chicks.

The young birds and a pet dog died in the blaze. Another dog made it out safely, but the family’s cat was missing.

Initial damage estimates are about $300,000, including a 1996 Subaru Legacy station wagon parked in the home’s garage, Willis said.

Flames were leaping from the home when crews arrived.

It appears a smoke alarm woke the two people in the house, the woman and her grown son, Willis said. The son was rushed to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle and the mother was taken to Providence Regional Medical Center Everett.

Information on their conditions wasn’t available but they were expected to survive, officials said.

Snohomish County Fire District 3 crews battled the blaze with help from surrounding fire districts. No firefighters were injured.

The Snohomish County chapter of the Red Cross provided aid to the family.

Jackson Holtz: 425-339-3437,

More in Local News

Herald photos of the week

A weekly collection of The Herald’s top images by staff photographers and others.

This tale goes full circle

Courthouse courier’s stolen bicycle is recovered with the help of a marshal.

Pair now face federal charges in pot shop heist

They are being prosecuted on robbery, drugs and weapons violations.

R U testing RUC?

The state has started its pilot of pay-per-mile taxes.

‘They understand us’: Explorer Middle students dig ‘The Club’

The Boys & Girls Club provides a growing on-site, after-school program in south Everett.

Driver hospitalized after I-5 rollover crash near Arlington

A medical problem is believed to have caused the accident.

Lynnwood plans $12M in sewer improvements

The city wants to be ready for an anticipated population boom around the mall and light rail.

Man struck, killed by Everett Transit bus Friday night

He was in the roadway between 75th Street SE and Beverly Boulevard when he was hit, police said.

Mom gives her $25,000 windfall to Marysville high schools

Among the beneficiaries is the drama club, which gets much-needed audio equipment.

Most Read