Monroe officials blame chicks’ heat lamp for house fire

MONROE — An indoor heat lamp used for warming young chickens was blamed for sparking a house fire early Tuesday that sent two people to the hospital.

A man, 31, suffered smoke injuries and a woman, 59, hurt her arm and hip when she jumped from a second-story window to escape the blaze, Monroe city spokeswoman Debbie Willis said.

The fire was reported just after 5 a.m. in the 22300 block of 116th Street SE, Willis said.

Investigators believe that the fire started in the living room, where the family was keeping a box of chicks.

The young birds and a pet dog died in the blaze. Another dog made it out safely, but the family’s cat was missing.

Initial damage estimates are about $300,000, including a 1996 Subaru Legacy station wagon parked in the home’s garage, Willis said.

Flames were leaping from the home when crews arrived.

It appears a smoke alarm woke the two people in the house, the woman and her grown son, Willis said. The son was rushed to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle and the mother was taken to Providence Regional Medical Center Everett.

Information on their conditions wasn’t available but they were expected to survive, officials said.

Snohomish County Fire District 3 crews battled the blaze with help from surrounding fire districts. No firefighters were injured.

The Snohomish County chapter of the Red Cross provided aid to the family.

Jackson Holtz: 425-339-3437, jholtz@heraldnet.com.

More in Local News

Former Monroe cop loses appeal on sex crimes conviction

Once a highly respected officer, he was found guilty of secretly videotaping his kids’ babysitter.

Derrick “Wiz” Crawford, 22, is a suspect in the homicide of his roommate. (Edmonds Police Department)
Roommate suspected in Edmonds killing found hiding in closet

Police had been searching for him for 10 days before locating him at a house in Everett.

Stabbing in Everett follows dispute between brothers-in-law

The victim, 54, was hospitalized. The suspect, 29, had not been apprehended Thursday.

New leaders coming to county, state political parties

Hillary Moralez of Bothell takes over as chair for the Snohomish County Democratic Party.

Camano Island man gets 18 years for role in drug ring

He was convicted of helping lead a drug distribution network in four Washington counties.

Lake Stevens man missing since beginning of January

Jason Michael Knox White hasn’t used his credit card or withdrawn money from his bank since then.

Deal reached on water bill clears way for action on capital budget

A lot of funding will to go toward housing, schools and projects in Snohomish County and statewide.

Stormy weather knocks out power to parts of Everett

About 3,700 PUD customers lost electricity in Snohomish County early Thursday morning.

Young woman missing from Mukilteo found safe

She called her parents and told them she was at a museum in Seattle.

Most Read