Moose attacks, stomps pilot

ANCHORAGE, Alaska — An agitated moose ran down and stomped a well-known Bush pilot from Willow, but he was saved when his wife grabbed a shovel from their pickup truck and whacked the big animal until it backed off.

George Murphy, 82, and his wife, Dorothea Taylor, 85, told the story of their recent moose encounter Sunday afternoon from Murphy’s hospital room in Anchorage, where he is recovering from gashes to his head and left leg as well as seven broken ribs. He was in good condition Monday, a hospital spokeswoman said.

The couple was at the Willow Airport around 10:30 a.m. Friday running their golden retrievers as they do almost every day. They drive along the access road in their truck and let the dogs, Fellar and King Tut, run on ahead.

When it came time to round up the dogs, Murphy told Taylor she could wait in the truck.

“Sometimes both of us go and walk the old dog back,” Taylor said. Fellar is 12 and moves slow. Tut, his son, is 3 and can run like the dickens. “But this time it was 30 below and just too darn cold out there.”

Murphy was hiking back to the truck with Fellar when he saw the moose up the road.

“He was way off. Jeez, he spotted me and he started to come right after me. So I was trying to get to the truck. But I didn’t make it,” Murphy told the Anchorage Daily News.

At the airport, there were no trees to duck behind. Murphy dove into the deep snow for protection. And the moose came at him.

“He started to stomp. Then he turned around and stomped again. And there was nothing I could do. I was afraid he was going to kill me.”

Murphy, a retired state construction engineer, flew for the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race nearly three decades, stopping only a couple of years ago.

He once was the chief pilot for the race. He’s well known among mushers and pilots as well as the news crews he carried to cover the race.

He and Taylor, a retired teacher, are both familiar with wild animals. They filled their freezer with moose and caribou until they gave up hunting a couple of years back.

From inside the truck, Taylor heard the dogs barking in alarm and jumped out to investigate. At 5 feet tall and 97 pounds, she is tiny but tough. Years ago, she shot and killed a trophy size brown bear on Kodiak Island. The mount is on the wall of the home they built on 8 acres in Willow.

She saw the moose rear up and strike at something on the ground with its front hooves. She didn’t know that her husband was down or that the moose was stomping him. She couldn’t see him in the snow.

Tut was at the moose’s rear, barking and trying to nip its back legs. Fellar was standing near the moose’s front, barking like crazy too.

“I thought he was trying to kill Fellar, the old dog,” Taylor said.

Still unaware of the danger her husband was in, she yelled for him to come help her with the dogs.

On instinct, she ran to where the action was. “And the moose started after me.”

Taylor raced back to the truck but instead of jumping in for safety, she released the tailgate to look for something she could use. She grabbed a big grain shovel that they keep on hand to dig out if the truck gets stuck.

She walked back to the moose, making a racket with the shovel on the road, where the snow was hard-packed. She kept shouting for her husband to get over there and help.

Taylor took a swing at the moose and it backed off a little, but then it reared up and stomped its target again. It didn’t let up.

“So I kept hitting it some more,” Taylor said. She swung mainly at the rump but said she got in at least one good lick to the head. She knew she was too close but what could she do? Finally, the moose turned away.

“When it turned and started to go off slowly, I hit it with everything I had,” she said. Tut, the younger dog, took over and chased the moose away.

“Then I saw it wasn’t Fellar the moose was after at all. He was striking over the top of Fellar, to get George.”

Her husband was conscious and said he may have broken ribs. That was the least of it, she thought. Blood was spurting out of a deep crack in his head. The snow was crimson. She grabbed his Iditarod baseball cap, which had fallen off, and used it to try to stop the flow the blood.

She couldn’t get her husband up so she got the dogs in the truck and then ran for help.

The Willow volunteer fire department got there and stabilized Murphy. He was rushed by medical helicopter to Providence Alaska Medical Center.

More in Local News

Fatal car crash reported on Highway 92 near Lake Stevens

The 3 p.m. accident and investigation stopped traffic in both directions near Machias Road.

Firefighters come to the rescue and give mom new stroller

Donations to the Good Neighbor Program covered the $143.20 cost.

Mayor tries new tactic to curb fire department overtime

Stephanson says an engine won’t go into service when the only available staff would be on overtime.

Cheering families welcome Kidd, Shoup after 6 months at sea

“I get back Daddy back today,” said one homemade sign at Naval Station Everett.

Paine Field fire chief will be allowed to retire

In his letter, the airport director noted Jeff Bohnet was leaving while under investigation.

Stanwood man, 33, killed in crash near Marysville

Speed may have been a factor, the sheriff’s department said.

County plans to sue to recoup costs from ballot drop-box law

A quarter-million dollars could be spent adding 19 ballot boxes in rural areas.

County frees up $1.6M for Everett’s low-barrier housing

The plan appears on track for the City Council to transfer land ahead of next month’s groundbreaking.

Jamie Copeland is a senior at Cedar Park Christian Schools’ Mountlake Terrace campus. She is a basketball player, ASB president, cheerleader and, of course, a Lion. (Dan Bates / The Herald)
Cedar Park Christian senior stepping up to new challenges

Jamie Copeland’s academics include STEM studies, leadership, ASB activities, honor society.

Most Read