Mussels from closed Port Townsend beach sicken 7

  • Tue Sep 25th, 2012 1:21pm
  • News

Associated Press

PORT TOWNSEND — Seven members of a Seattle family were hospitalized after eating mussels from a Discovery Bay beach near Port Townsend that has been closed by the state since July because of high levels of biotoxin.

Jefferson County Public Health says members of the unnamed vacationing family, ages 19 to 68, fell ill Saturday with paralytic shellfish poisoning.

The Peninsula Daily News reported that one woman had to be placed on a ventilator Sunday, but she was breathing on her own again on Monday at Jefferson Healthcare Hospital. Other family members also were treated at the Port Townsend hospital and at Harrison Hospital in Bremerton.