Nimitz sailor guilty of rape threat

A USS Nimitz sailor has been found guilty of threatening to rape a California naval recruit in a social media posting and will now face internal discipline, Navy officials told the Los Angeles Times on Wednesday.

Nicholas Lord, a sailor aboard the Everett-based aircraft carrier Nimitz, was accused of making the lewd comments last month after the woman posted a picture of herself and said she was joining the Navy.

“If I could and I knew you I’d hold you down and rape you,” Lord wrote, authorities say.

Cmdr. Jeannie Groeneveld, public affairs officer for Naval Air Force Pacific, told The Times that Lord had been found guilty of using indecent language and would face an undisclosed punishment.

He has not been removed from the Navy, according to Groeneveld, who said possible punishments include demotion or a reduction in salary. Privacy laws bar the Navy from releasing specific details about an internal inquiry.

Lord, who joined the Navy in 2008 and served as a petty officer second class and electrician’s mate aboard the Nimitz, did not respond to messages seeking comment. Attempts to contact the woman at whom the comment was aimed have been unsuccessful.

The Navy does not have a general social media policy for its sailors, according to Groeneveld.

“For personal social media sites for Navy sailors, there isn’t an overarching policy, because our service members have a right to free speech,” she said. “They are held accountable for their actions when their comments fall outside of good order and discipline.”

The initial comment, made last month, immediately went viral, sparking controversy on Web pages for naval recruits and a page for the Nimitz.

It remains unclear whether or not the woman, who once resided in Salinas, California, has reported for basic training yet.

More in Local News

Amanda Strong (left) tries on an Angel of the Winds Arena hat as she and Courtney Brown hand out gift bags after the renaming ceremony Dec. 13 in Everett. The new name replaces the Xfinity name. (Andy Bronson / Her file)
Angel of the Winds to break ground on $60M casino expansion

“We think we’re on the cusp of becoming a major resort.”

Mom and brother turn in suspect in Stanwood robberies

The man is suspected of robbing the same gas station twice, and apologizing to the clerk afterward.

Derrick “Wiz” Crawford, 22, is a suspect in the homicide of his roommate. (Edmonds Police Department)
Roommate suspected in Edmonds killing found hiding in closet

Police had been searching for him for 10 days before locating him at a house in Everett.

Video shows man suspected of attacking a woman in Edmonds

The man allegedly threw her on the ground, then ran away after the she began kicking and screaming.

Navy to put filter in Coupeville’s contaminated water system

Chemicals from firefighting foam was found in the town’s drinking water.

Officials to test sanity of suspect in Everett crime spree

He allegedly tried to rob and clobber a transit worker, then fled and struggled with police.

Former Monroe cop loses appeal on sex crimes conviction

Once a highly respected officer, he was found guilty of secretly videotaping his kids’ babysitter.

Families seek to change wrongful death law

A bill would allow parents or siblings who wish to pursue a suit for an unmarried, childless adult.

Katharine Graham, then CEO and chairwoman of the board of The Washington Post Co., looks over a copy of The Daily Herald with Larry Hanson, then The Herald’s publisher, during her visit to Everett on Sept. 20, 1984. The Washington Post Co. owned The Herald from 1978 until 2013. (Herald archives)
Everett’s brush with Katharine Graham, leader of ‘The Post’

Retired Herald publisher Larry Hanson recalls The Washington Post publisher’s visits.

Most Read