No royal wedding for Mexican teen as British authorities send her home

MEXICO CITY — Estibalis Chavez staged a hunger strike and flew twice to London in her quest to see Prince William and Kate Middleton tie the knot.

But there was no fairy tale ending Friday for the Mexican teenager, whose widely publicized desperate quest drew both sympathy and scorn from her countrymen.

Chavez, 19, said British immigration officials in London turned her away at the airport Thursday, saying she didn’t have enough money for a safe place to stay for her trip. Officials gave a similar reason for deporting her when she first tried to enter Britain on April 22.

“They didn’t let me enter because they thought I was crazy,” Chavez told The Associated Press by telephone Friday from Spain.

Chavez staged a hunger strike outside the British Embassy in Mexico City for 16 days in a failed bid to wrangle an invitation to the wedding. She was ultimately rejected outside the embassy with a letter from a representative of Prince William.

Although many Mexicans mocked Chavez, one man, lobbyist Octavio Fitch Lazo, was moved by her determination and paid for her first plane ticket to London.

Chavez has said her fascination with Britain’s royals dates back to her childhood. Her father, Pedro Chavez, told her that her mother, who died giving birth to Chavez, adored the late Princess Diana, Prince William’s mother.

The teenager said she caught parts of the wedding on television but couldn’t bear to watch the whole thing.

She said she now regrets her drastic bid for an invite.

“I made myself seem crazy,” Chavez said. “If I hadn’t gone on the hunger strike, maybe I could have entered England.”

More in Local News

Outgoing councilwoman honored by Marysville Fire District

The Marysville Fire District in December honored outgoing City Councilwoman Donna Wright… Continue reading

Everett district relents on eminent domain moving expenses

Homeowners near Bothell still must be out by April to make way for a planned new high school.

Their grown children died, but state law won’t let them sue

Families are seeking a change in the state’s limiting wrongful-death law.

Officials rule train-pedestrian death an accident

The 37-year-old man was trying to move off the tracks when the train hit him, police say.

Ex-Monroe cop re-arrested after losing sex crime case appeal

He was sentenced to 14 months in prison but was free while trying to get his conviction overturned.

Marysville hit-and-run leaves man with broken bones

The state patrol has asked for help solving an increasing number of hit-and-run cases in the state.

Everett man killed at bar had criminal history, gang ties

A bar employee reportedly shot Matalepuna Malu, 29, whose street name was “June Bug.”

2 names released from recent fatal crashes

Both men were killed earlier this month.

Judge: Lawmakers’ emails, texts subject to public disclosure

News organizations had sued to challenge the Legislature’s claim that members were exempt.

Most Read