NY hospital warns after e-cigarette fire, injury

SYRACUSE, N.Y. — A New York hospital is reinforcing its ban on electronic cigarettes after a patient on oxygen was burned by a fire that erupted while she was puffing on one of the devices.

Syracuse Fire Department investigator Joe Galloway tells The Post-Standard (http://bit.ly/QuQKDE ) the exact cause of last month’s fire at St. Joseph’s Hospital Health Center has not yet been determined. But he says the patient had a battery-powered e-cigarette, which uses a heating element to vaporize nicotine.

Hospital officials have not identified the patient. They say she suffered first- and second-degree burns across her face, but is home and doing well.

Since the fire, St. Joseph’s officials have reminded patients they aren’t allowed to use e-cigarettes. The hospital also prohibits tobacco use on its campus.

More in Local News

Agencies launch coordinated response to an opioid ‘emergency’

Health workers, law enforcement agencies and emergency managers are responding as they might to a disaster.

King County sheriff could face felony charge in groping case

A former deputy claims John Urquhart groped him. Renton police forwarded the case to the prosecutor.

Snohomish County Council passes a no-new-taxes budget

The spending plan still funds the hiring of five new sheriff’s deputies and a code enforcement officer.

Alleged philanderer attacked with hammer near Everett

His girlfriend had accused him of cheating and allegedly called on another man to confront him.

Pair charged with first-degree robbery in marijuana theft

A man was shot in the head during a holdup that was supposed to net about an ounce of pot.

Puffy-coated robbery suspect arrested on Whidbey

The suspect apparently wore the same outfit in 2 robberies at the same place in less than 2 weeks.

Planning — and patience — can ease Thanksgiving travel

The Washington State Department of Transportation offers information to help guide planning.

Hiker rescued on Boulder River trail after 15-foot fall

She was reported to have possible leg and rib fractures.

Front Porch

JUST FOR YOUTH Fun with leftovers The week after Thanksgiving is always… Continue reading

Most Read