Organizers cancel Redneck Games (video)

EAST DUBLIN, Ga. — Organizers of the Redneck Games, a Georgia festival that includes competitions such as toilet seat horseshoes and mud pit belly flops, say this summer’s event is being canceled.

The local Lions Club voted not to hold this year’s event because of the economy, lower attendance and sponsors backing out, East Dublin City Administrator Larry Drew said.

“It’s been good for us but the last few years it’s been going down,” Drew, who is also the Lions Club treasurer, told the Courier Herald of Dublin. “We decided to take a break and see what happens next year.”

The Redneck Games, which began in 1996 as a response to Atlanta hosting the Summer Olympics, has drawn visitors from as far away as Europe, Asia and Australia.

The site of the games, Buckeye Park, is under scrutiny from the Georgia Environmental Protection Division. Agency officials said the nearby creek and the Oconee River could be contaminated by bacteria draining from a restroom installed at the park, the Telegraph of Macon reported.

The city signed a consent order with the agency last month, agreeing to conduct regular fecal coliform testing in the area and to pay a $10,000 fine for a series of environmental violations related to management of the park over the last five years.

Drew said the decision to cancel the Redneck Games after 17 years was unrelated to any contamination concerns.

City officials also dispute the state agency’s interpretation of the situation.

“We responded to everything (EPD) ever gave us, but we didn’t agree with what they wanted us to do,” Drew said.

City officials think the high bacteria levels were caused by some kind of animal rather than the restroom, Drew told the Telegraph. He said the restroom isn’t heavily used and isn’t open during the Redneck Games, when portable toilets are used instead.

The event was a fund-raiser for the local Lions Club. Club members will revisit hosting the games in 2014 if organizers get enough responses, Drew said.

“If we get a lot of calls, we’ll probably start it back next year,” he said. “It’s just according to if people are interested.”

More in Local News

Inslee’s budget solves school funding with help from carbon

His budget would use reserves to boost education, then replenish them with a carbon tax or fee.

Man, 29, injured by shots fired at Everett thrift store

The gunfire followed an argument in the parking lot of Value Village on Evergreen Way.

Police: He made an appointment, then tried to rob the bank

A lawyer is accused of donning a fake beard and telling a teller that a gunman was outside.

Lynnwood robbery leads to lockdown at Edmonds schools

Edmonds police said it was just a precaution as they search around Edmonds-Woodway High School.

Marysville 7-Eleven hit by armed robbers

Officers set up a perimeter and brought in a police dog, but the man couldn’t be found.

In adult court, four teens plead not guilty to murder

Prosecutors allege they worked together to plan and execute a drug robbery in Everett.

2 women struck, injured while crossing busy roads

The first happened Wednesday night in Everett. The second was Thursday morning in Edmonds.

Suspected escort charged with felony assault, robbery

She allegedly told police she shot the man in the head “because he was performing (a sex act) wrong.”

Lives were on the line

After an estimated 350K emergency calls over 35 years, dispatcher Steve Williams is set to retire.

Most Read