JUNEAU, Alaska — State health officials say they have confirmed a case of paralytic shellfish poisoning near Ketchikan.
Greg Wilkinson of the Alaska Department of Health and Social Services told KINY-AM that a woman was hospitalized Tuesday.
She had eaten cockles and clams collected on Gravina Island and within minutes experienced numb lips, followed by tingling in the fingers and toes and numbness from feet to knees.
She was treated and released at the hospital.
A lab confirmed PSP on Friday.
Wilkinson said PSP is an ever-present danger and can’t be cooked or cleaned out of shellfish.
He said people should seek immediate care if they experience symptoms and that PSP can kill.