HELENA, Mont. — A Montana man whose 12-year-old golden retriever ate five $100 bills hopes to be reimbursed by the federal government.
Wayne Klinkel told The Independent Record that his dog, Sundance, ate the bills while he and his wife were on a road trip to visit their daughter.
Klinkel said he carefully picked through the dog’s droppings, and his daughter recovered more when snow melted. He said he washed the remnants of the bills and taped them together and sent them to the Treasury Department’s Bureau of Engraving and Printing with an explanation of what happened.
The bureau’s website said an “experienced mutilated currency examiner” will determine if at least 51 percent of a bill is present and eligible for reimbursement. The process can take up to two years.