Police: School stabbing suspect said ‘I did it’

HARTFORD, Conn. — A teenager charged in the fatal stabbing of a Connecticut high school student told a police officer after the attack: “I did it,” according to a court filing released Tuesday.

The 16-year-old defendant, Christopher Plaskon, has been charged with murder as an adult in the slaying of Maren Sanchez, a friend who was killed last week in a hallway of Jonathan Law High School in Milford. He was charged previously as a juvenile offender.

A witness saw Plaskon on top of the 16-year-old victim during the attack, and tried unsuccessfully to pull him away, and another saw him discard a bloody knife, according to a police affidavit. Plaskon was inside the principal’s office with bloody clothes when an officer arrived and asked what happened. “I did it. Just arrest me,” Plaskon replied, according to the officer.

The attack occurred Friday, hours before the school’s junior prom, and police have been investigating whether it was related to Sanchez’s refusal to be Plaskon’s prom date.

Plaskon was being held at a medical facility, where his attorneys say he is undergoing psychiatric evaluation. He was arraigned Tuesday at the medical facility, but he is to be transferred to the custody of the Correction Department, with bond set at $3 million. He faces arraignment in Milford Superior Court on Friday.

A judge called for Plaskon to be held in age-appropriate conditions with continued psychiatric attention.

Plaskon’s family said Tuesday it joins the community in mourning the loss of life as it struggles to understand what led to the crime.

“Words can only fall short in conveying the depth and breadth of the raw sadness we are left with by this unimaginable tragedy,” the family said. “We join with the entire Milford community to celebrate the life and mourn the loss of this most vibrant and exceptional young woman.”

His family thanked relatives, friends and neighbors for reaching out to them in what they called their darkest hour.

“We pray for the wisdom to guide us as we desperately try to pull together the shattered pieces of our families,” the family said.

More in Local News

Bicycle tour raises money for dialysis patients

Volunteers also shared health information and put together care packages for homeless women.

Elderly couple escape serious injuries in crash with train

The driver drove down tracks instead of a road, hitting a slow-moving train near Stanwood.

Boeing reaches out to schools

Company employees helped Everett students at recent reading and Manufacturing Day events.

5-vehicle collision sends school bus into ditch; no injuries

No students were hurt when a school bus crashed into… Continue reading

Fire crew returns early from wildfires in Northern California

Four Everett firefighters returned from battling California wildfires late Thursday… Continue reading

Theft lands former insurance salesman 50 days in jail

A former insurance salesman is expected to report to jail… Continue reading

Pair of intrepid musicians climb N. Cascades summits to play

Rose Freeman and Anastasia Allison pack their instruments up mountains for high-altitude recitals.

Everett mayoral campaign is one of the priciest ever

Many campaign donors are giving to both Cassie Franklin and Judy Tuohy.

Herald columnist Julie Muhlstein (left) and Elizabeth Reed, of Snohomish, share something humorous during an interview at Reed’s Snohomish High School Class of 1942 reunion in September 2016. Muhlstein is marking 20 years as a columnist, with about 3,000 of them published in The Herald. Counting her early days as a reporter and editor, she has been with The Herald for 36 years. (Dan Bates / Herald file)
3,000 stories in 20 years: Here are some of my favorites

As a Daily Herald columnist, I’ve met remarkable people and learned much since 1997.

Most Read