Pot-butane explosion injures 3 in Mount Vernon

Three people suffered minor burns in an explosion at a Mount Vernon apartment where they were trying to extract hash oil from marijuana by using butane.

Lt. Chris Cammock says firefighters put out flames just before midnight Thursday and the three were treated at Skagit Valley Hospital for burns to arms and faces.

A 2-liter soda bottle was filled with gas for the oil extraction process and something ignited the fumes. The blast shattered a window and damaged walls.

The apartment building was evacuated for two hours while a Washington State Patrol bomb squad made sure there were no more explosives. The Mount Vernon fire marshal closed five units surrounding the damaged apartment for an investigation.

More in Local News

Departing mayor’s locally drawn portrait joins city’s pantheon

Artist Elizabeth Person’s portrait of Everett Mayor Ray Stephanson will hang with others at City Hall.

Inslee proposes tapping reserves, carbon tax in budget plan

The proposal also includes money for the mental health system and efforts to fight opioid addiction.

One dead in crash south of Granite Falls

Two cars collided near the intersection of N. Lake Roesiger Road and Hidden Valley Road.

2 women struck, injured while crossing busy roads

The first happened Wednesday night in Everett. The second was Thursday morning in Edmonds.

Lynnwood robbery leads to lockdown at Edmonds schools

Edmonds police said it was just a precaution as they search around Edmonds-Woodway High School.

Marysville 7-Eleven hit by armed robbers

Officers set up a perimeter and brought in a police dog, but the man couldn’t be found.

Snohomish man, 63, missing from home since Monday

He left without his keys, wallet and phone, saying something about going to “the river.”

Counties fed up with unfunded mandates may sue the state

For example, no money has been provided to install, maintain and clear out required ballot boxes.

Firefighters come to the rescue and give mom new stroller

Donations to the Good Neighbor Program covered the $143.20 cost.

Most Read