Power outage causes sewage leak on Everett beaches

EVERETT — People are being asked to stay out of the water at Howarth Park and Pigeon Creek beaches after a power outage Saturday morning caused a sewage spill into Port Gardner.

City spokeswoman Marla Carter said power has been restored and the city’s sewer lift station is back in operation.

About 40,000 gallons of sewage was released into the bay. Water quality samples have been taken.

City officials notified the state Department of Ecology, Department of Health, Port of Everett and city of Mukilteo, Carter said.

Signs urging people to stay out of the water have been posted at the beaches.

The signs are to be removed when water samples signify that the water quality has returned to normal levels.

More in Local News

Waiting lists and growing demand for low-income preschools

There will be 1,000 more spots opening in the state next school year — far fewer than needed.

Snohomish County PUD general manager and CEO to retire

Craig Collar, 54, who will return to Montana, joined the utility as a senior manager in 2006.

Jensen Webster sorts through food stuffs at the Sultan High School in Sultan on March 14, 2018. (Kevin Clark / The Daily Herald)
Sultan school children take charge to help their peers

The Sky Valley Youth Coalition has installed pantries at schools so kids can take food home.

Herald photos of the week

The latest collection of top images by Herald photographers.

Cougs beat Dawgs — and the Hawks

WSU boasts the No. 1 specialty license plate, and the money that comes with it.

Police seek female suspect in north Everett burglaries

She’s suspected of being an accomplice to a man who has committed five other burglaries.

North Machias Road bridge down to one lane until fixes made

A bridge south of Lake Stevens remains at one lane of travel… Continue reading

Everett woman found dead identified as 21-year-old

There were no obvious signs of trauma on the body of Brianna Leigh Nyer.

Ivar’s in Mukilteo closes for disinfection after illnesses

The Snohomish Health District said it’s not certain what caused some patrons to get sick.

Most Read