Providence hospital lays off 34 employees

Thirty-four employees at Providence Regional Everett Medical Center, working in billing, medical records and registration, have been notified that their jobs will be eliminated on June 28.

The employees were given formal 60-day notices on Friday that their jobs were ending, said Melissa Tizon, senior communications director for Providence Health &Services and Swedish. The two nonprofit health care organizations joined in a nonprofit business partnership last year.

Thirteen of the employees have found other jobs within Providence Health &Services, Tizon said.

The employees were told last July at their jobs may be at risk, she said.

The hospital and the associated Providence Medical Group clinics has a workforce of 3,500 employees, ranking it as one of Snohomish County’s largest employers.

The last round of layoffs at the hospital occurred in September 2011, when as many as 175 jobs were cut through voluntary and involuntary job cuts.

More in Local News

Snohomish mayoral candidates have very little in common

Karen Guzak and John Kartak are vying for the new position.

Second teen charged after $1 million in school vandalism

Two teens now face felony charges for damage at two schools in Darrington last summer.

Majority of Marysville City Council seats are contested

The most closely watched race is between Mark James and Donna Wright.

A potentially transformative council election in Snohomish

As the city adopts a new form of government, many new faces are seeking office.

Mill Creek hires Gina Hortillosa as public works director

Hortillosa will be responsible for creating strategic infrastructure plans to promote economic growth.

1 shot dead, another wounded in apparent Everett robbery

There are indications the victims might have known the shooter, who apparently fled in a vehicle.

This dental office devoted a day to free care for veterans

All Smiles Northwest in Everett was among businesses observing Freedom Day USA.

Dead boy’s ‘gentle giant’ uncle helped search, then confessed

Andrew Henckel, 19, of Texas, said he planned the drowning of Dayvid Pakko, 6. His bail is $1 million.

Most Read