Raffaele Sollecito has book deal

NEW YORK (AP) — Amanda Knox’s former boyfriend will be the first to tell about the Italian murder case that made them famous worldwide.

Raffaele Sollecito has a deal with Simon &Schuster’s Gallery Books for a book scheduled to come out this fall. Knox’s memoir is due next year.

The publisher announced Thursday that “Presumed Guilty: My Journey to Hell and Back with Amanda Knox” would cover his relationship with the U.S. exchange student, their arrests and imprisonment in Italy over the death of Knox’s roommate and their eventual release last fall after the convictions were overturned.

“Sollecito was an unwilling participant in a case that riveted the world. The Italian media convicted the young couple before any evidence had even been heard,” according to Gallery. “Over and over, Sollecito came under pressure to change his testimony and get himself off the hook, but he refused to betray Amanda and he refused to lie.

“In ‘Presumed Guilty,’ Sollecito will finally tell his side of the story — from his first meeting with Amanda Knox, to his arrest, prison time, subsequent release, and current relationship with the woman he stood by through the worst ordeal of both their lives.”

Financial terms weren’t disclosed. Last month, Knox agreed to terms with HarperCollins on a deal worth $4 million. While numerous publishers bid on the Knox book, the deal for the 27-year-old Sollecito’s memoir was reached after Gallery made a “pre-emptive” offer to literary agent Sharlene Martin.

Press attention has been focused on the 24-year-old Knox, who has said nothing to the media since a brief expression of thanks upon being freed. Sollecito gave an interview to the Italian newspaper Oggi soon after his release, saying he and Knox remained in touch and that he expected to visit her in the U.S.

Gallery spokeswoman Jennifer Robinson said Sollecito would collaborate on the book with Andrew Gumbel, an award-winning British journalist and author whose books include “Steal This Vote” and the upcoming “Oklahoma City,” about the 1995 bombing.

Knox and Sollecito were originally found guilty for the 2007 murder of Meredith Kercher, a 21-year-old British student who shared an apartment with Knox in the university town of Perugia. They were sentenced to 26 years and 25 years in prison, respectively. TV cameras showed footage of Knox and Sollecito hugging and kissing outside the crime scene in 2007 as police inspected the house.

But an appeals court ruled in October 2011 that the evidence didn’t hold up. Knox returned home to the U.S.; Sollecito lives in Italy.

More in Local News

It’s hard to find a parking spot at Wallace Falls State Park

There’s a study under way on how to tackle that issue and others.

At long last, a church of his own

After years of filling in elsewhere, Hallack Greider is the new pastor at Maplewood Presbyterian.

Judge: Lawmakers’ emails, texts subject to public disclosure

News organizations had sued to challenge the Legislature’s claim that members were exempt.

Herald photos of the week

A weekly collection of The Herald’s top images by staff photographers and… Continue reading

Outgoing councilwoman honored by Marysville Fire District

The Marysville Fire District in December honored outgoing City Councilwoman Donna Wright… Continue reading

Officials rule train-pedestrian death an accident

The 37-year-old man was trying to move off the tracks when the train hit him, police say.

Ex-Monroe cop re-arrested after losing sex crime case appeal

He was sentenced to 14 months in prison but was free while trying to get his conviction overturned.

Everett district relents on eminent domain moving expenses

Homeowners near Bothell still must be out by April to make way for a planned new high school.

Number of flu-related deaths in county continues to grow

Statewide, 86 people have died from the flu, most of whom were 65 or older.

Most Read