Rep. Doc Hastings to retire

PASCO — Veteran Republican U.S. Rep. Doc Hastings has announced he will retire at the end of the year.

The Pasco-based Hastings has represented central Washington for two decades, first getting elected to the U.S. House in 1994 after beating then-congressman Jay Inslee, the current Washington governor. Prior to his career in the nation’s capital, Hastings served in the Washington House of Representatives between 1979 and 1987.

Hastings says he just turned 73 years old and says it’s time for voters to choose “a new person with new energy to represent them in the people’s House.” He adds that his children, their spouses and his eight grandchildren now all reside in Washington state.

Most recently, Hastings served as chairman of the House Natural Resources Committee.

More in Local News

Wildlife, guns and property taxes are on the agenda in 2018

State lawmakers are pre-filing bills they hope to pass in the 2018 legislative session.

Spring start set for big Everett apartment complex

The building will be eight stories tall, with seven of those visible from Broadway.

Amtrak service from Seattle north unaffected by DuPont wreck

Sound Transit reported no disruptions for its Sounder commuter trains serving Edmonds and Seattle.

Two from Oak Harbor killed in head-on, 2-car crash

One car crossed the center line, hitting the other car. Both drivers died.

Clues in recovered backpack help identify robbery suspect

Police find a ticket with the man’s name on it after an attempted shoplifting at a Safeway.

Herald photos of the week

A weekly collection of The Herald’s top images by staff photographers and… Continue reading

Police presence returns to Edmonds School District

Jacob Hubby is set to walk the halls of Meadowdale High School as a school resource officer.

County budget takes effect without Somers’ signature

The council passed its version with unanimous support and could have overridden an executive veto.

Separate Everett fires send man to hospital, damage boat

The man was hospitalized for smoke inhalation from the early morning fire.

Most Read