Salvage logging planned on Oregon fire site

BEND, Ore. — Central Oregon foresters are preparing to solicit bids on salvage logging at the site of the 2012 Pole Creek Fire near Sisters.

An advertisement was expected in about a week to announce the sale and set a minimum bid, The Bulletin of Bend reported.

“It’s all about economics,” said Kristie Miller, district ranger for the Sisters Ranger District. “It’s trying to get some wood to the mills and some people to work and remove some hazards along the roads.”

There are questions, however, about whether mills will be interested and whether environmentalists might challenge the sale.

Timber manager Chuck Burley at the Interfor Mill in Gilchrist said the passage of time means the trees will have fungus and “bug holes” that reduce their value, so he’s waiting to see what the Forest Service sets for a minimum.

“We know what we think it is worth,” he said, “but we have to wait and see what they think it is worth.”

Tim Lillebo, Eastern Oregon field representative for OregonWild, said the group hasn’t decided whether to challenge the sale plans.

He said the group has been encouraging the Forest Service to move away from salvage logging, noting that heavy logging equipment can cause further harm in a recovering forest.

“It is just really hard to find any ecological benefit to that,” he said.

The plans call for harvesting 11 million board feet of fire-killed trees and gathering 880,000 board feet of firewood in the burn area. About 1.3 million board feet of hazard trees along 42 miles of roads are also to be sold.

Lightning started the Pole Creek Fire on a September weekend last year, and it burned on more than 40 square miles, or 26,000 acres.

More in Local News

Longboarders from near and far hit the trail in Arlington

The Centennial Sk8 Festival was serious competition for some and just for fun for others.

Signs show the rates for using the express toll lanes for traffic headed southbound on Interstate 405, Tuesday, Feb. 16, 2016, in Bothell, Wash. Gov. Jay Inslee announced plans Tuesday to try to decrease congestion on I-405 in answer to commuter complaints that the new express lane tolling system is making traffic worse. The governor said he would not be shutting down the tolling system as some people have called for. But the state transportation department is making plans to add new northbound general purpose lanes to ease some of the congestion and also plan to make it easier to move into and out of the express lanes. (AP Photo/Elaine Thompson)
After a 2-year trial, are I-405’s toll lanes here to stay?

Lawmakers will decide whether to keep them or end the experiment and try something else.

Weary drivers using toll lanes say they have little choice

Congestion continues to be a tedious reality for commuters on I-405, which is as clogged as ever.

Council passes six-month moratorium on safe injection sites

Proposal by County Councilman Nate Nehring passed unanimously.

Terrace woman held following collision in Everett

The three occupants in vehicle were transported to a local hospital in serious condition.

Information sought on drive-by shooting in Everett

Debris from an apparent crash, evidence of gunfire found in the 2800 block of California Street.

Crews recover body of man who fell over Wallace Falls

The area where the man fell is called Sky Valley Lookout, 2.4 miles from the parking lot.

Herald photos of the week

A weekly collection of The Herald’s best images by staff photographers and… Continue reading

This week’s Herald Super Kid is Nathan Nicholson of Snohomish High School. (Dan Bates / The Herald)
‘The future is biotech,’ but for now he’s busy with everything

Snohomish senior Nathan Nicholson is a student leader and media master.

Most Read