San Antonio airport terminals reopen after threat

SAN ANTONIO — A bomb threat temporarily cleared out San Antonio International Airport on Wednesday after officials said someone called alleging that three packages had been left inside a parking garage.

About 2,000 passengers in the terminal were herded onto the tarmac for about 1½ hours after the unknown person called around 2:30 p.m. warning about the packages, and flights were not allowed to land at the airport, fire and airport officials said.

No suspicious items were found in an intensive search aided by bomb-sniffing dogs, airport spokesman Rich Johnson said. He said the “all clear” was declared about 5 p.m. CST, allowing flights to resume and roads leading to and from the airport to reopen.

“The K-9s (initially) had hits in the garage. But they have not found any devices. Sometimes they get false positives,” San Antonio Fire Department spokeswoman Deborah Foster said.

The investigation is ongoing.

Passengers taken out of the terminal were later funneled onto more than two dozen city buses, each able to carry about 36 people, VIA Metropolitan Transit spokeswoman Priscilla Ingle said.

Kristen Reeves, a Chicago hotel marketing representative, said she was returning home when she was evacuated from the terminal.

“They took us outside, and we were out in the sun for a while,” she said. “I was standing in the security line and I heard the security personnel say, `Lockdown!’ really loud.”

Another passenger, Scott Holcomb, 34, of Tulsa, Okla., said the evacuation was well-organized and that water was provided to evacuees standing in the hot sun. He said that after about 20 minutes, they were led to a shaded area and then eventually were able to return to the building.

He said most people were calm during the evacuation.

“This is just one more of the big inconveniences of travel,” said Holcomb, who was rebooked on a later flight back to Tulsa.

More in Local News

Child porn found in forest treehouse and Mill Creek home

Daniel Wood, 56, has been charged with two counts of possession of child pornography.

Former Everett firefighter indicted in new sex-crime case

David “Pete” Vier could go to prison for life if convicted of the charges, which were filed in Wyoming.

Mukilteo fire stations are the newest ‘Safe Places’ for youth

It’s among dozens of designated locations countywide organized by Cocoon House in Everett.

Edmonds man gets nearly 14 years for murder of roommate

Derrick Crawford, 22, admitted that he shot and intended to kill 27-year-old Joshua Werner.

3 hospitalized, 1 arrested in head-on crash near Lynnwood

Troopers believe alcohol might have played a role in the early morning crash along Highway 99.

Masked gunman sought in shooting at house near Darrington

The suspect — a neighbor — is still at large. There were no injuries reported, but a television was hit.

Driver dies in apparent high-speed crash near Snohomish

A passerby found the severely damaged car off Chain Lake Road Saturday night.

In Sultan, walkout was a missed class, leading to detention

Students without parental permission were marked truant and had to attend an “accountability workshop.”

Most Read