Sanford went to ex-wife’s home to see son, watch Super Bowl

COLUMBIA, S.C. — Former Gov. Mark Sanford said Wednesday that he went to his ex-wife’s home without her permission on Feb. 3 so he could watch the second half of the Super Bowl with their 14-year-old son “because, as a father, I didn’t think he should watch it alone.”

The Sanford’s divorce settlement says neither can enter the other’s home without permission.

In a news release, Sanford said he tried to reach his ex-wife, Jenny Sanford, to explain the situation to her but was unsuccessful because she was out of town.

Sanford, who is the Republican candidate in the May 7 special election to fill the vacant 1st District congressional seat, said he “met her at the back steps under the light of my cell phone when she returned and told her what had happened.”

The trespassing charge were reported first Tuesday night by the Associated Press, citing court documents. According to the Associated Press, Jenny Sanford also filed a complaint against the former S.C. governor for failing to make a $5,000 yearly contribution for one of their four sons’ college education costs, an issue that the former first lady said was resolved.

“There is always another side to every story, and while I am particularly curious how records that were sealed to avoid the boys dealing with embarrassment are now somehow exposed less than three weeks before this election, I agree with Jenny that the media is no place to debate what is ultimately a family court matter, and out of respect for Jenny and the boys, I’m not going to have any further comment at this time,” Sanford said.

Sanford’s news release made no mention of the college education costs.

Tuesday night, Jenny Sanford told The State newspaper that Sanford’s election was not a concern to her because she is “focused on raising my children.” She declined to discuss details of the Feb. 3 incident, other than to say: “”We have had a number of matters (in their divorce), and we have to deal with them in private.”

Sanford faces Democrat Elizabeth Colbert Busch on May 7. Sanford is due in court on the charge two days after that election, according to the AP. Tuesday night, Colbert Busch’s campaign declined to comment on the trespassing charge.

More in Local News

These little piggies stay home

Norman, who was spotted last week in Everett, is part of a trio kept as pets by the “pig whisperer.”

Leanne Smiciklas, the friendly lady who served customers of her husband’s Old School Barbeque from a schoolbus parked in front of the Reptile Zoo east of Monroe, has died at 64. (Dan Bates / Herald file)
Without her, beloved BBQ hotspot in Monroe can’t go on

Leanne Smiciklas, who ran the now-closed Old School BBQ along Highway 2 with her husband, died.

Woman, 47, found dead in Marysville jail cell

She’d been in custody about four days after being arrested on warrants, police said.

County plans to sue to recoup costs from ballot drop-box law

A quarter-million dollars could be spent adding 19 ballot boxes in rural areas.

Herald photos of the week

A weekly collection of The Herald’s top images by staff photographers and… Continue reading

Mill Creek’s Donna Michelson ready to retire at year’s end

The city’s longest-serving council member says she has every intention of staying involved.

Smokey Point Behavioral Hospital accepting adolescent patients

The facility is the first mental heallth unit in the county to offer in-patient services for children.

Within an hour, 2 planes crash-land at Paine Field

One simply landed hard and went off the end of a runway. Another crash involved unextended landing gear.

Ian Terry / The Herald Westbound cars merge from Highway 204 and 20th Street Southeast onto the trestle during the morning commute on Thursday, March 30 in Lake Stevens. Photo taken on 03302017
Pay a toll on US 2 trestle? 10,000 say no on social media

A GOP lawmaker’s chart shows theoretical toll rates of up to $6.30 to cross the trestle one way.

Most Read