50 years ago (1963)
Kenneth L. Vowels had joined the staff of the Everett Clinic as its licensed dispensing optician. He was in charge of the new clinic optical shop which had complete facilities for filling spectacle and contact lens prescriptions and making repairs.
Opening of Everett Pawn Shop and Repossession Outlet at 1917 Hewitt Avenue was announced by Carl Madsen, formerly Northwest sales supervisor for Langendorf Bakeries for 25 years. With his wife Edythe and daughter Linda, he lived at 3209 Rockefeller Avenue.
25 years ago (1988)
Having a grand opening was Kids Mart, located on Everett Mall Way in Greentree Plaza. Just in time for back-to-school, here was a new place to save every day on the latest looks for kids. Kids Mart alw3yas had favorite brand names for less.
Marysville was on the road to same street names. Soon the old highway would be called State Avenue all the way to the north city limits. Beyond that it was Smokey Point Boulevard. Other streets that led to confusion were Liberty Avenue, also named 47th Avenue NE, and Grove Avenue, also known as 76th Avenue NE.
By Jack O’Donnell from Herald archives at the Everett Public Library.