50 years ago (1963)
Mr. and Mrs. John D. Clarke, 1426 Rucker Ave., were named co-chairs for the first annual Gonzaga University Parents Fund. They would visit other parents of Gonzaga students in the Everett area to solicit their help with the university’s Great Teachers Program. The Clarke’s daughter, Dolores, was a senior and their son, Kevin, a junior at Gonzaga.
A county park and recreation department was created by Snohomish County commissioners. The new department was directed by Richard Fowler, head of the county’s planning department and was managed by personnel from the planning department.
25 years ago (1988)
Knitting Machine Center, Inc., was celebrating the grand opening of their Everett store at 7207 Evergreen Way (Village Square). Sales included 10 percent off Singer knitting machines and all ribbers, and 20 percent off on Toyota knitting machines and yarn.
Center B.J. Riseland scored 22 points to lead the Woodway Warriors to an 80-74 victory over the Bellingham Red Raiders in the championship game of the Northwest District AA boys basketball tournament at Marysville-Pilchuck High School. Mark Nelson and Eric Bird added 18 points each for Woodway.
By Jack O’Donnell from Herald archives at the Everett Public Library