Sentence for porn adds 8 years to Monroe man’s term

SEATTLE — A Monroe man accused of trading child pornography was sentenced Friday to eight years in federal prison.

U.S. District Court Judge John Coughenour agreed that Blayne T. Hulbert, 22, shouldn’t begin serving time for distributing child pornography until after he has finished a five-year state prison stint for molesting a young relative.

That means Hulbert likely will be locked up for about 13 years, authorities said.

Agents with Homeland Security Investigations began focusing on Hulbert after they identified an email account whose user was offering to trade child pornography through a web site hosted in Russia. The email address was traced to a house in Monroe. Investigators served a search warrant on the house in November. That’s when they learned that the homeowner’s name and address had been used without his permission to set up the account. Authorities eventually traced the account to Hulbert.

He was arrested in November. Hulbert told agents that he already was under investigation for molesting a child. In May, Hulbert pleaded guilty to the federal child pornography charge. A couple months later he was sentenced to five years in state prison for child molestation.

As part of the plea agreement, prosecutors asked that Hulbert not be allowed to serve both sentences at the same time.

In asking for the lengthy sentence, federal prosecutors pointed out that Hulbert had thousands of images of depicting graphic and disturbing violence against children.

“Hulbert’s actions contributed to the demand for these horrific images of abuse,” prosecutors wrote.

Diana Hefley: 425-339-3463; hefley@heraldnet.com.

More in Local News

Longboarders from near and far hit the trail in Arlington

The Centennial Sk8 Festival was serious competition for some and just for fun for others.

Signs show the rates for using the express toll lanes for traffic headed southbound on Interstate 405, Tuesday, Feb. 16, 2016, in Bothell, Wash. Gov. Jay Inslee announced plans Tuesday to try to decrease congestion on I-405 in answer to commuter complaints that the new express lane tolling system is making traffic worse. The governor said he would not be shutting down the tolling system as some people have called for. But the state transportation department is making plans to add new northbound general purpose lanes to ease some of the congestion and also plan to make it easier to move into and out of the express lanes. (AP Photo/Elaine Thompson)
After a 2-year trial, are I-405’s toll lanes here to stay?

Lawmakers will decide whether to keep them or end the experiment and try something else.

Weary drivers using toll lanes say they have little choice

Congestion continues to be a tedious reality for commuters on I-405, which is as clogged as ever.

Council passes six-month moratorium on safe injection sites

Proposal by County Councilman Nate Nehring passed unanimously.

Terrace woman held following collision in Everett

The three occupants in vehicle were transported to a local hospital in serious condition.

Information sought on drive-by shooting in Everett

Debris from an apparent crash, evidence of gunfire found in the 2800 block of California Street.

Crews recover body of man who fell over Wallace Falls

The area where the man fell is called Sky Valley Lookout, 2.4 miles from the parking lot.

Herald photos of the week

A weekly collection of The Herald’s best images by staff photographers and… Continue reading

This week’s Herald Super Kid is Nathan Nicholson of Snohomish High School. (Dan Bates / The Herald)
‘The future is biotech,’ but for now he’s busy with everything

Snohomish senior Nathan Nicholson is a student leader and media master.

Most Read