EVERETT — A small fire in a haunted house caused a real scare Monday in Everett.
Customers evacuated the business around 1 p.m. in the 1500 block of Industry Way, when acrid black smoke started to rise from some plastic that was supposed to be noncombustable.
“Apparently, it was not,” said LeRoy McNulty, the Everett fire marshal.
Firefighters arrived to find an employee had used extinguishers to mostly put out the small fire. No one was hurt.
The plastic was sitting next to a hot lightbulb. Investigators suspect that’s how the fire started. Crews removed the burnt plastic Monday, so that the haunted house could reopen.