Snohomish driver faces charges for crash in Oregon

A 19-year-old from Snohomish faces criminal charges in Oregon after crashing his car, injuring himself and three others, because he passed out behind the wheel while trying to hold his breath through a nearly 800-foot-long tunnel.

The passenger in Daniel Calhoon’s Toyota Camry suffered the most serious injuries as the car drifted across the center dividing line and into a Ford Explorer on Sunday afternoon. The passenger, 19-year-old Bradley Meyring, improved from serious to fair condition Tuesday at Legacy Emanuel Medical Center in Portland, a hospital spokeswoman said.

Calhoon, of Snohomish, was cited for reckless driving, three counts of recklessly endangering another person and fourth-degree assault. He has been asked to appear in court in late June should prosecutors move forward with the case.

Calhoon told investigators that as part of a game he began holding his breath as he entered the tunnel, according to Oregon State Police Lt. Gregg Hastings.

“In this case, I think he lost, and unfortunately other people were impacted,” Hastings said Tuesday. “It’s obviously never recommended that drivers do anything that’s distracting.”

Some people hold their breath when passing through tunnels as part of a game or superstition, but the reasoning and origin appear to be in dispute. Hastings said the game is usually played as a competition between passengers these days, with the driver typically sitting out.

The Oregonians inside the SUV struck by Calhoon’s car were taken to a hospital, where they were treated and released. The driver, Thomas Hatch Jr., 67, said the crash could have been worse had he not swerved to avoid a head-on impact with Calhoon’s car.

Hatch said he and his wife suffered cuts and bruises and were sore.

“The trooper was pretty incredulous about what caused the crash, but then it turned out that was really what happened,” Hatch said Tuesday. “Whatever you do, don’t hold your breath when you’re going (through a) tunnel.”

The Dennis L. Edwards Tunnel on Highway 26 on the edge of Portland runs the length of a little more than two football fields. At the speed limit, a car would be in the tunnel for about 10 seconds.

“That’s the part that amazed me,” Hatch said, referring to Calhoon’s apparently losing consciousness so quickly. “I used to be a diver. I was sitting in my chair afterwards and wondering how long can I hold my breath for now. at least a minute without passing out.”

Calhoon couldn’t be reached for comment.

More in Local News

Suspect sought in two Everett bank robberies

He’s described as 5-foot-10 to 6-foot-1, with dark hair and a goatee, and may have a neck tattoo.

Jogger unharmed after fending off attacker in Edmonds

Police released video of a man they believe to be the attacker.

Two missing men found, one alive and one dead

The man found alive was found in an apartment across the hallway and taken to a hospital.

Darrington School Board dealing with upheavals

The crux of the controversy seems to be the superintendent’s job.

Alaska Airlines has selected destinations for new service from Paine Field. (Alaska Airlines)
Alaska Airlines will fly from Everett to 8 West Coast cities

Two destinations that didn’t make the list were Spokane and Hawaii.

Three teens arrested for Marysville school vandalism

Windows were broken and a trash bin was on fire Sunday night at a Marysville middle school.

Langley mayor threatens newspaper with lawsuit

The mayor threatened to sue the paper over claims he withheld public records disclosure information.

Divers called to recover body after train hits pedestrian

The accident was reported by a BNSF crew near Woods Creek in Monroe.

Katharine Graham, then CEO and chairwoman of the board of The Washington Post Co., looks over a copy of The Daily Herald with Larry Hanson, then The Herald’s publisher, during her visit to Everett on Sept. 20, 1984. The Washington Post Co. owned The Herald from 1978 until 2013. (Herald archives)
A local connection to history

Retired Herald publisher Larry Hanson remembers The Post’s Katharine Graham, who visited several times.

Most Read