Soldier’s quick action saves lives in club fire

  • Fri Jan 3rd, 2014 8:10pm
  • News

Associated Press

SEATTLE — Seattle fire officials say many could have died inside a Seattle nightclub on New Year’s Eve if it wasn’t for the quick thinking of U.S. Army Staff Sgt. Christopher Bostick.

KIRO-TV reported that in the first seconds after a fire started at Neighbours, the veteran of Iraq and Afghanistan grabbed a fire extinguisher from behind the bar. Then he and Air Force member Mike Casey put out the fire.

There were 750 people celebrating in the bar when an arsonist poured gasoline on a carpeted stairway and set it ablaze.

Bostick expects the fire would have become unmanageable in less than a minute.

While the nightclub’s sprinkler system rained water down, hundreds of people calmly—but quickly—left the nightclub. No one was hurt.

Bostick believes the arsonist was hoping to trap and kill everyone in Seattle’s most established gay nightclub.

The man who tracks terrorism for a living says the arson attack was not merely a hate crime.