EVERETT — A garbage transfer station south of Everett was closed for more than two hours Monday afternoon until firefighters could confirm a liquid spilled from an unmarked barrel was not hazardous.
Firefighters were called to the Snohomish County Airport Road Transfer Station in the 10700 block of Minuteman Drive east of Paine Field around about 12:25 p.m.
“Workers became concerned when the liquid began leaking from the 55-gallon barrel as it was being moved,” Snohomish County Fire District 1 spokeswoman Leslie Hynes said. “The employees did not know who had dropped off the barrel at the transfer station. The only label indicated the contents were flammable.”
All employees evacuated the transfer station. Firefighters examined three workers who were exposed to the spilled liquid. The workers experienced no symptoms associated with hazardous materials exposure and they did not require medical treatment.
Firefighters from Fire District 1, Lynnwood, the Snohomish County Airport Fire Department and Mukilteo responded to the call.
A hazardous materials team in protective gear went into the transfer station and tested a sample of the liquid. The tests determined it was a non-hazardous, petroleum-based solvent.