Spokane Valley firefighter’s wife rescues 3 kids from blaze

  • Wed Feb 19th, 2014 6:59pm
  • News

Associated Press

SPOKANE VALLEY — A fire official says a firefighter’s wife rescued her three sleeping children from the family’s burning home in Spokane Valley, suffering burns and smoke inhalation in the process.

The Spokesman-Review reported that Rachelle Flatt spotted flames on her back patio Tuesday night and called 911. Flames reached a propane tank attached to an outside grill. Assistant Fire Chief Greg Godfrey said the explosion shattered patio doors and pushed flames into the house.

The woman grabbed her 6-year-old son, then ran back into the burning house for her two girls, a 3-year-old and an infant. The fire singed her hair and burned her ears as she rescued the baby.

Godfrey said the woman was treated overnight at a Spokane hospital and released Wednesday.

Her husband, Pete Flatt, is a firefighter with District 8. Godfrey says he was released from duty to respond.

Damage to the insured home is estimated at $100,000.


Information from: The Spokesman-Review, http://www.spokesman.com