MONROE — A sprinkler kept an accidental fire at the Monroe Correctional Complex in check until firefighters arrived to extinguish it Tuesday morning.
Firefighters from Snohomish County Fire District 3 in Monroe were called just after 3:30 a.m. by prison staff at the Twin Rivers Unit. The corrections officers saw a smoke-filled building and flames.
The unoccupied building houses classrooms, offices and laundry facilities.
Authorities believe the fire was started by some oily rags in a laundry cart.
Offender housing units are separated from the building. Inmates were not endangered by the fire. No injuries were reported.
Damage is estimated at $1,500.