Suspect in assault of child jailed after beating allegation

  • Thu Feb 4th, 2010 10:55pm
  • News

By Diana Hefley Herald Writer

EVERETT — An Everett man accused of beating his infant son was ordered jailed on $100,000 bail Thursday after a judge learned of new allegations that the man assaulted his pregnant girlfriend last month.

Tyrus Jackson, 21, was charged in November with second-degree assault of a child. Prosecutors allege that in May 2008 Jackson abused his then 4-month-old son so severely that the boy was left profoundly brain damaged and blind.

Jackson pleaded not guilty to the charge in late November and was allowed to remain free pending trial.

Snohomish County deputy prosecutor Chris Dickinson asked a judge Thursday to revoke the November order and set bail at $100,000. Dickinson alleged that Jackson violated the conditions of his release when he was arrested Jan. 6 for assaulting his girlfriend. He was jailed 10 days later for attacking the woman again. She is pregnant with Jackson’s child, according to court documents.

“It appears that the defendant is well on his way toward creating another severely injured child,” Dickinson wrote.

Jackson’s attorney, public defender Neal Friedman argued that his client doesn’t have any prior felony convictions and there is evidence that the child fell down the stairs before he was taken to the hospital.

Dickinson said a medical doctor and child abuse expert are ready to testify that the boy’s injuries weren’t caused by a tumble down the stairs.

The boy had bruising on his brain, a ruptured bowel, internal bleeding, broken ribs, a lacerated liver, a fractured skull, bruises and what appeared to be a bite mark. All of those injuries weren’t accidental, doctors concluded.

Prosecutors waited more than a year to file the charge against Jackson, Friedman said. It is going to take a significant amount of time to prepare for trial and it’s unfair to keep Jackson locked up that long, Friedman added.

Jackson’s girlfriend was in the courtroom Thursday. Friedman said she told him that police reports documenting the January assaults were untrue. She obtained a civil protection order against Jackson because she was angry with him, Friedman said.

The woman told police that Jackson punched her, bit her and choked her, court papers said.

Snohomish County Superior Court Judge Anita Farris said Jackson violated the terms of his release and the allegations indicate that he is a danger to the community. She ordered the $100,000 bail.

Farris then asked Jackson’s girlfriend if she knew about the child abuse allegation against her boyfriend. She provided the woman with the charging documents and also advised her that if Jackson was convicted of the charge, he likely wouldn’t be able to have any contact with their child.

Diana Hefley: 425-339-3463;