TACOMA — Firefighters chiseled a hole in a chimney early Tuesday to rescue a man who was stuck inside a 20-inch space at a Tacoma home that had been converted to apartments.
Fire Department Battalion Chief Dyre Fudge says firefighters were called about 1:30 a.m. to help the young adult who was trapped at the second-floor level of the three-story house. A technical rescue team was called in to use power equipment to cut through a wall and the chimney. The man stepped out in about half an hour.
Fudge says he was not hurt and not suspected of a crime.
It remains unclear why he apparently climbed into the unused chimney.
Fudge says there were several stories including “ceiling repair” and “hide and seek” or something like a “stupid pet trick.”