Teen girl shot by Taliban leaves hospital

LONDON — Malala Yousafzai, the Pakistani teenager shot in the head by Taliban gunmen last October in Pakistan, walked out of the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham, England, Friday to rejoin her family. Wearing a white patterned headscarf and long gray dress, Malala walked slowly out of the hospital, helped by a nurse, and waved shyly as she went through the door.

The 15-year-old schoolgirl who campaigned for girls’ education in Pakistan and wrote a blog for the BBC Urdu service about daily life under the Taliban was targeted on her way to school on Oct. 9 last year for her stand against rules which ban girls from education.

She was shot in the head and neck by men who blocked her school bus near her home in Mingora in Pakistan’s Swat valley and asked for her by name. She was rushed to a local hospital for neurosurgery in Pakistan but flown to Birmingham a week later for specialist neurosurgery in the Queen Elizabeth hospital, which specializes in military casualties.

A hospital statement said Friday that she would return there “in late January or early February to undergo cranial reconstructive surgery as part of her long-term recovery.”

Dr. David Rosser, the medical director, praised his young patient who, he said, “has worked hard with the people caring for her to make excellent progress in her recovery.”

As she recovered, the teenager attracted the world’s attention to the plight of women and girls around the world who are still struggling for education and social freedoms under repressive regimes.

Her family, who traveled to Birmingham from their home in Pakistan, may now stay in Britain, where Malala’s father Ziauddin Yousafzai has been appointed education attache at the Pakistani consulate in Birmingham.

More in Local News

Longboarders from near and far hit the trail in Arlington

The Centennial Sk8 Festival was serious competition for some and just for fun for others.

Signs show the rates for using the express toll lanes for traffic headed southbound on Interstate 405, Tuesday, Feb. 16, 2016, in Bothell, Wash. Gov. Jay Inslee announced plans Tuesday to try to decrease congestion on I-405 in answer to commuter complaints that the new express lane tolling system is making traffic worse. The governor said he would not be shutting down the tolling system as some people have called for. But the state transportation department is making plans to add new northbound general purpose lanes to ease some of the congestion and also plan to make it easier to move into and out of the express lanes. (AP Photo/Elaine Thompson)
After a 2-year trial, are I-405’s toll lanes here to stay?

Lawmakers will decide whether to keep them or end the experiment and try something else.

Weary drivers using toll lanes say they have little choice

Congestion continues to be a tedious reality for commuters on I-405, which is as clogged as ever.

Council passes six-month moratorium on safe injection sites

Proposal by County Councilman Nate Nehring passed unanimously.

Terrace woman held following collision in Everett

The three occupants in vehicle were transported to a local hospital in serious condition.

Information sought on drive-by shooting in Everett

Debris from an apparent crash, evidence of gunfire found in the 2800 block of California Street.

Crews recover body of man who fell over Wallace Falls

The area where the man fell is called Sky Valley Lookout, 2.4 miles from the parking lot.

Herald photos of the week

A weekly collection of The Herald’s best images by staff photographers and… Continue reading

This week’s Herald Super Kid is Nathan Nicholson of Snohomish High School. (Dan Bates / The Herald)
‘The future is biotech,’ but for now he’s busy with everything

Snohomish senior Nathan Nicholson is a student leader and media master.

Most Read