Teens could face felonies for explicit photo

EDMONDS — Police are recommending felony child-pornography charges against two young men who allegedly were involved in sharing a sexually explicit picture of a 15-year-old Edmonds girl.

The photo showed one of the young men having sex with the girl, according to police. He was 17 at the time. Another male teen also was involved in the sex act.

Detectives believe the photo was taken without the girl’s permission in late 2012 or early 2013. It was then shared with the boys’ friend who posted it to Twitter, a social media website, in May.

School officials and police found out about the photo the next day. The investigation recently wrapped up, Edmonds police Sgt. Mark Marsh said Wednesday. Earlier this month, detectives obtained a judge’s permission to search Twitter archives for evidence regarding the people involved, including deleted accounts and postings, documents show.

Detectives are asking prosecutors to charge the young man who allegedly took the photo and shared it with others. He’s 18 now. They suggest charges of sexual exploitation of a minor and possessing child pornography. Both alleged offenses are felonies.

Police also recommended charging the young man who allegedly posted the photo online. They suggest he be charged with possessing child pornography and dealing in child pornography, both felonies. He is 18.

No charges were recommended against the third boy, who is now 17, because he wasn’t believed to be involved in the distribution of the photo, Marsh said. The girl was 14 or 15 at the time.

The picture did not show the teens’ genitals. The sex act was believed to be consensual. It’s unclear whether state age-of-consent laws were violated because there was conflicting information about when exactly the incident took place, Marsh said.

The photo was deleted from Twitter shortly after it was posted, according to the search warrant.

When the incident was reported, two of the young men and the victim attended Edmonds-Woodway High School. The other young man is from Shoreline.

The Herald is not naming the people involved because they have not been charged.

If felony charges are declined, the case likely will go to a lower court for possible misdemeanor charges, Marsh said.

“Because of the frequent use of social media, tracking these types of crimes is very difficult, and we need to carefully evaluate each of these incidents that is reported,” Marsh said. “It’s so easy for people these days to commit crimes or have errors in judgment that could affect them for the rest of their lives.”

Rikki King: 425-339-3449; rking@heraldnet.com.

More in Local News

Families begin relocating from public housing complex

Baker Heights is in need of repairs deemed to costly to make, and will be demolished and replaced.

Trail work by juvenile offenders builds resumes, confidence

Kayak Point trails were built out this year by groups from Denney Juvenile Justice Center.

Herald photos of the week

A weekly collection of The Herald’s best images by staff photographers and… Continue reading

Distress beacon leads rescuers to Pacific Crest Trail hikers

Two men in their 20s had encountered snow and waited two nights for a helicopter rescue.

Volunteers clean up homeless camp infested with garbage

The organization’s founder used to live and do drugs in the same woods.

Everett mayoral campaign is one of the priciest ever

Many campaign donors are giving to both Cassie Franklin and Judy Tuohy.

Arrests made in robbery-turned fatal Everett shooting

A man, 24, and woman, 18, were found at a hotel in Seattle.

Boeing marks the start of 777X production at Paine Field

It took tax breaks and union concessions to land assembly of the company’s new jetliner in Everett.

3 fire departments seek levies to support emergency services

District 25 in Oso is hoping to pass its first fire levy in 22 years.

Most Read