Thai army takes over government

Soldiers swept into the streets of Bangkok, protest leaders were rounded up and international TV networks went dark Thursday after a military coup pitched Thailand into an unsettling period of political uncertainty.

U.S. officials quickly condemned the takeover and warned that they were reviewing military and other assistance to Thailand.

In a televised announcement, Gen. Prayuth Chan-ocha, commander in chief of the Royal Thai army, said the coup would help a fractious country “return to normal quickly” after months of political instability. “The military has to return peace and order to the country as soon as possible,” Prayuth said.

But the move could inflame tensions by eliminating an elected government and marginalizing a boisterous opposition group.

Soon after the coup, the military said it had suspended the constitution, dismissed the caretaker government and ordered cabinet ministers to turn themselves in. Prayuth was proclaimed head of a council that will temporarily run the country.

Thailand’s army announced a nationwide curfew from 10 p.m. until 5 a.m., in effect until further notice. Meanwhile, soldiers went to various pro- and anti-government sites across the capital, Bangkok, detaining some of the leaders deemed responsible for Thailand’s protracted political crisis.

Although the extent of military control of the country was not immediately evident, initial reports indicated that troops were able to clear protest sites in a fairly orderly manner.

In Washington, Secretary of State John Kerry said that “there is no justification for this military coup” and warned that there would be “negative implications for the U.S.-Thai relationship, especially for our relationship with the Thai military.”

Kerry said he was concerned by reports that senior political leaders had been detained and that news media outlets had been shut down. “I urge the restoration of civilian government immediately, a return to democracy, and respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms, such as press freedoms,” he said.

State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said $10 million in annual U.S. aid to Thailand was under review.

Thailand is notorious for its political instability and periodic military takeovers. Since the establishment of a constitutional monarchy in 1932, there have been 12 successful coups and seven attempted ones. But Thailand now finds itself at a particularly dangerous moment, and some analysts warn that its intensifying divisions could lead to armed clashes or, in the worst case, civil war.

The Thai military launched its coup Thursday under the guise of peace talks, which it was brokering. For the second day in a row, representatives from both sides of the country’s main political divide showed up at a military site in the afternoon. This time, according to local media reports, at least some were not allowed to leave, and other protest leaders were soon rounded up across Bangkok.

Among those detained was Suthep Thaugsuban, the leader of the anti-government movement. The pro-government group, known as the “red shirts,” said on Twitter that some of its leaders were also detained.

The coup comes two days after the military declared martial law, pledging that it would not remove the government. In imposing martial law, the military cited a century-old law that gave it broad powers to censor the media, detain civilians and outlaw meetings or assemblies.

For the past half-year, Thailand has been nearly paralyzed by a conflict that has left about 30 people dead and hundreds injured. The conflict, at its core, is a power struggle between rural voters in the vast northern part of the country and urban elites in Bangkok. The rural voters outnumber the urban ones, and over the past 13 years, they have found a political party they love. Again and again they vote it into office, even as the party cycles through leaders. And again and again, those leaders are ousted by court rulings or coups.

The conflict is testy, because both sides have major grievances. Those who oppose the ruling party, now known as the Pheu Thai, say it is ruled by a de facto strongman, Thaksin Shinawatra, who has let corruption run rampant and consolidated power in his family and cronies.

Thaksin’s supporters say the country has found dubious ways to oust a democratically elected party. He was removed as prime minister by a military coup in 2006 and now lives in Dubai.

His sister, Yingluck Shinawatra, became prime minister in 2011 when Pheu Thai won general elections. But she was booted from office two weeks ago after Thailand’s Constitutional Court found her guilty of abuse of power.

Coups in Thailand are often bloodless, but this is the first to come at a time when the country’s beloved king, Bhumibol Adulyadej, 86, appears too ill to play his traditional mediator role.

Opposition to Yingluck mounted late last year when the parliament attempted to pass legislation that would have given amnesty to Thaksin and others facing political charges.

After the implementation of martial law Tuesday, the military set up what it described as a “Peace and Order Maintaining Command.” A day later, the military summoned representatives from the caretaker government as well as the two major rival political factions for supposed peace talks.

On Thursday, the attendees were taken into custody.

Video from the scene shows Suthep, the anti-government protest leader, being hustled into a white van and driven away.

Thailand’s caretaker prime minister — Niwattumrong Boonsongpaisan, who replaced Yingluck — did not attend the meetings. Niwattumrong was not detained in any of the subsequent roundups, but some news media reports said he had been ordered to turn himself in.

More in Local News

Live in Edmonds? Hate speeders?

Edmonds has $35,000 to address local residents’ concerns about speeding in their… Continue reading

Herald photos of the week

A weekly collection of The Herald’s top images by staff photographers and… Continue reading

Police looking for Lynnwood bank robber

The robber did not flash a weapon to the teller at a U.S. Bank.

Employee threats caused lockdown at Arlington elementary

Arlington Police said all students and staff were.

Sirens! Flashing lights! — Move over!

We are a confident bunch on what to do when we hear… Continue reading

Marysville quits fire-department merger talks

Mayor Jon Nehring notified Arlington of the decision in a letter dated Jan. 10.

Everett marchers: ‘There’s too much to protest’ for one sign

About 150 people joined the “March to Impeach” from the waterfront to a county courthouse rally.

Food stuffs for a local chapter of A Simple Gesture at Fitness Evolution, the communal pick-up point, in Arlington on Jan. 12. (Kevin Clark / The Herald)
In it together in Arlington

A new program makes it more convenient to collect items for the food bank.

Former councilman files second lawsuit

Ron Gipson is suing Snohomish County claiming he suffered racial discrimination.

Most Read