By Lisa Leff And Garance Burke Associated Press
SAN FRANCISCO — A transgender teen who said he was beaten and sexually assaulted in a California high school bathroom recanted the story, police said Tuesday.
The 15-year-old teen initially spoke to officers then was interviewed by a detective who determined nothing had happened to him.
The change left open the possibility that the teen could be charged for fabricating the story, Hercules police Detective Connie Van Putten said.
The boy reported he had been attacked on Monday. But as the investigation continued, officers could not substantiate the facts of the victim’s statement, including the time frame, and the boy lacked any physical injuries to his head, face and hands, police said.
The student finally admitted he had made up the story, Van Putten said. She would not speculate on why he had lied.
“We investigated this thing as a true crime, we went at it full force until we found out there was no crime,” Van Putten said. “So people should know if they believe they are a victim of a crime, we are going to give them our full attention.”
The student, who is biologically female but identifies as male, initially told officers he was leaving a boy’s bathroom late Monday morning at Hercules Middle/High School when the assailants pushed him inside a large stall and attacked him.