Two injured, pets die in duplex fire south of Everett

  • Sat Jan 18th, 2014 12:11pm
  • News

Herald Staff

EVERETT — Two people were injured and four pets were killed in a duplex fire Friday night south of Everett.

The fire was reported just after 8:30 p.m. in the 11600 block of Admiralty Way. A couple who lived there had gone out to dinner and returned to find the home full of smoke, said Leslie Hynes, spokeswoman for Snohomish County Fire District 1.

They tried to rescue their pets, but there was too much smoke, Hynes said. A woman who lived there and a female neighbor both were taken to a local hospital with minor injuries from the fire.

Firefighters rescued two boa constrictors from inside. A dog, two cats and a pet lizard died in the fire.

Damage was estimated at $80,000, mostly in the kitchen area, Hynes said. Investigators believe the fire was started by a pot of food left cooking on the stovetop.

The American Red Cross was assisting those displaced.