U.S. stops military aid to Egypt, Senate aide says

WASHINGTON — The United States has halted military aid to Egypt, a Senate aide said Tuesday, describing what would be a rebuke of the once stalwart U.S. ally’s crackdown on Islamist opponents and the military ouster of its president. Obama administration officials immediately rejected the claim.

David Carle, an aide to Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., said his Senate Appropriations foreign operations subcommittee has been informed the “transfer of military aid was stopped” amid ongoing Egyptian security operations against the Muslim Brotherhood supporters of ousted President Mohammed Morsi.

“This is current practice, not necessarily official policy, and there is no indication of how long it will last,” Carle said.

Obama administration officials said they were reviewing U.S. aid to Egypt in light of the military’s July 3 overthrow of the democratically elected president and the violent confrontations between security forces and demonstrators that have left almost 1,000 people dead in the last week. But it says no final decisions have been made, despite State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki’s revelation Monday that Washington still hasn’t delivered some $585 million — almost half the annual military aid package — for fiscal year 2013.

“There has been no decision to halt or to suspend assistance to Egypt,” Pentagon spokesman George Little said Tuesday.

Another U.S. official, speaking on condition of anonymity because he wasn’t authorized to discuss the issue publicly, said American companies are still being paid for Egypt aid programs and “nothing has stopped.”

The administration also plans to spend all of the remaining military assistance money before the Sept. 30 end of the fiscal year, said the official.

More in Local News

Longboarders from near and far hit the trail in Arlington

The Centennial Sk8 Festival was serious competition for some and just for fun for others.

Signs show the rates for using the express toll lanes for traffic headed southbound on Interstate 405, Tuesday, Feb. 16, 2016, in Bothell, Wash. Gov. Jay Inslee announced plans Tuesday to try to decrease congestion on I-405 in answer to commuter complaints that the new express lane tolling system is making traffic worse. The governor said he would not be shutting down the tolling system as some people have called for. But the state transportation department is making plans to add new northbound general purpose lanes to ease some of the congestion and also plan to make it easier to move into and out of the express lanes. (AP Photo/Elaine Thompson)
After a 2-year trial, are I-405’s toll lanes here to stay?

Lawmakers will decide whether to keep them or end the experiment and try something else.

Weary drivers using toll lanes say they have little choice

Congestion continues to be a tedious reality for commuters on I-405, which is as clogged as ever.

Council passes six-month moratorium on safe injection sites

Proposal by County Councilman Nate Nehring passed unanimously.

Terrace woman held following collision in Everett

The three occupants in vehicle were transported to a local hospital in serious condition.

Information sought on drive-by shooting in Everett

Debris from an apparent crash, evidence of gunfire found in the 2800 block of California Street.

Crews recover body of man who fell over Wallace Falls

The area where the man fell is called Sky Valley Lookout, 2.4 miles from the parking lot.

Herald photos of the week

A weekly collection of The Herald’s best images by staff photographers and… Continue reading

This week’s Herald Super Kid is Nathan Nicholson of Snohomish High School. (Dan Bates / The Herald)
‘The future is biotech,’ but for now he’s busy with everything

Snohomish senior Nathan Nicholson is a student leader and media master.

Most Read