Woman sentenced to 5 years for Marysville vehicular homicide

EVERETT — A woman who fatally struck a Lake Stevens man in a Marysville crosswalk last year has learned her fate for driving under the influence of alcohol and drugs.

Snohomish County Superior Court Judge Eric Lucas on Monday sentenced Theresa Ecklund to five years in prison.

Ecklund pleaded guilty last month to vehicular homicide in connection with the Dec. 10, 2010, death of David Johnson, 66.

Ecklund, of Kenmore, was sentenced to three years in prison — the mid-range under the law — for the fatal collision. The judge tacked on an additional two years to the sentence because of Ecklund’s 1986 drunken driving conviction out of King County.

As part of the plea agreement, prosecutors allowed Ecklund, 48, to plead guilty to the death before she was adjudicated on a pending drunken driving charge. That offense came six months after the fatal crash.

Ecklund was out on bail in connection with Johnson’s death when she was arrested on suspicion of drunken driving.

Police reported that Ecklund passed out in the back seat of a patrol car in June after she was stopped during a countywide crackdown on intoxicated drivers. The arresting officer noted that Ecklund was “blasted,” court papers said.

Prosecutors alleged that Ecklund was drunk and also high on methamphetamine when she struck Johnson in a crosswalk on Fifth Street near State Avenue in Marysville. He died at a local hospital from multiple head injuries.

Medical investigators concluded that Johnson’s own blood-alcohol level was three times the legal limit. His intoxication may have contributed to the accident, Snohomish County deputy prosecutor Tobin Darrow wrote in court papers filed in July.

Police investigating the incident noted that Ecklund swayed as she stood and smelled of alcohol. She failed field sobriety tests. Tests later revealed that her blood-alcohol level of .12 was above the legal limit, Darrow wrote. The tests also showed that Ecklund had methamphetamine in her system, court papers said.

Ecklund allegedly told officers that she was turning left and never saw Johnson.

Diana Hefley: 425-339-3463; hefley@heraldnet.com.

More in Local News

Bicycle tour raises money for dialysis patients

Volunteers also shared health information and put together care packages for homeless women.

Elderly couple escape serious injuries in crash with train

The driver drove down tracks instead of a road, hitting a slow-moving train near Stanwood.

Flooding still a concern on Snohomish River

Flood warning in effect until Monday afternoon for Monroe and Tuesday morning for Snohomish.

Boeing reaches out to schools

Company employees helped Everett students at recent reading and Manufacturing Day events.

5-vehicle collision sends school bus into ditch; no injuries

No students were hurt when a school bus crashed into… Continue reading

Fire crew returns early from wildfires in Northern California

Four Everett firefighters returned from battling California wildfires late Thursday… Continue reading

Theft lands former insurance salesman 50 days in jail

A former insurance salesman is expected to report to jail… Continue reading

Expect river levels to keep rising, though sun is on the way

Some could crest above minor and moderate flood levels.

Herald photos of the week

A weekly collection of The Herald’s best images by staff photographers and… Continue reading

Most Read