Woodway house fire caused by electrical problem in Christmas tree

  • Wed Dec 7th, 2011 7:57pm
  • News

Herald staff

WOODWAY — A house fire in Woodway on Wednesday afternoon caused more than $100,000 in damage.

The fire started with an electrical problem in an artificial Christmas tree, officials said. It was reported about 12:30 p.m. in the 23700 block of 112th Place W.

A woman was asleep in an upstairs bedroom when she heard a smoke alarm sound, Snohomish County Fire District 1 spokeswoman Leslie Hynes said.

“She came downstairs from her bedroom and saw flames,” she said.

The woman called 911.

The flames heavily damaged the living room, and smoke damaged the rest of the home. No injuries were reported.

The family who lived in the home plan to stay with neighbors. They had insurance.