Local Columnist | email@example.com | 425-339-3460
It was the early 1970s. The Vietnam War raged on, claiming tens of thousands of American lives and tugging at the nation’s psyche. At Stonewall Jackson High School in Manassas, Virginia, Pamela Tollberg was dating Robert Snow.The war so dominated the culture that Pamela’s boyfriend gave her a POW/MIA bracelet.
EVERETT — Rita Jozefczyk is drawn to another time. Going through old photographs, she drifts back nearly 75 years to life on the home front during World War II.
There she is, a fresh-faced teenager in an overcoat standing with her father, Earl Davidson, a slim man in uniform.
There is her uncle, John Paul Boland, posing with fellow Marines after the
Sepideh Khazeei was hard at work on a writing assignment. She had no problem with the essay topic, "Someone I would like to meet." She chose an Iranian movie star. The trouble was, she couldn't write it in Farsi, her native language.
The young Everett woman came here from Iran three years ago. Now taking an English as a second language class at Everett Community College,...
- Highway 99 renamed in honor of Snohomish settler William P. Stewart May 22
- A helping of pancakes can help mend Emma’s heart May 20
- Churches show support, reach out to mosque leader May 18
- Granite Falls woman develops a retreat for veterans on her property May 15
- Everett native's book a humorous look at a simpler time May 13
- Secrets and questions: Daughter, birth mother find each other May 8
- Hope Soldiers’ goal: Help revive those saddled with addiction, depression May 4
- No cream puffs behind these whipped cream pies May 1
- Herald says farewell to leader of newsroom family April 29
- Upgrades bring much more to Jackson Park in Everett April 27