AP source: Napoli, Boston strike 3-year deal

  • Mon Dec 3rd, 2012 12:28pm
  • Sports

Associated Press

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — A person familiar with the negotiations says catcher Mike Napoli and the Boston Red Sox have agreed to a $39 million, three-year contract.

The deal is subject to Napoli passing a physical, which will take place later this week, the person said Monday. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the deal was not yet final.

The Seattle Mariners reportedly had been one of the team’s pursuing Napoli.

A 31-year-old who also plays first base, Napoli hit .320 with 30 homers and 75 RBIs as the Texas Rangers won their second straight AL pennant in 2011, then slumped to a .227 average with 24 homers and 56 RBIs this year.