California Chrome co-owner apologizes for outburst

  • Associated Press
  • Monday, June 9, 2014 9:46am
  • Sports

NEW YORK — California Chrome co-owner Steve Coburn apologized Monday for his bitter remarks after his horse failed to win the Triple Crown.

Coburn said on ABC’s “Good Morning America” he was “very ashamed of myself. Very ashamed. I need to apologize to a lot of people, including my wife, Carolyn.”

His wife tried to intervene as Saturday’s interview got out of control, explaining that her husband was “very emotional and I was trying to calm him down.”

Coburn also apologized to the connections of winning horse Tonalist, saying: “I did not mean to take anything away from them.”

On Saturday, he had said that Tonalist took “the coward’s way out” by skipping the first two legs of the Triple Crown. Sunday, he doubled down by pointing out that “it wouldn’t be fair if I played basketball with a child in a wheelchair because I got an unfair advantage.”

By Monday, though, he tried to make amends. Coburn’s lower lip quivered at times during the interview in which he apologized to co-owner Perry Martin and trainer Art Sherman, among others.

“I need to apologize to the world and America, our fans that have written us, given us so much support. I apologize, I sincerely apologize,” Coburn said. “This is America’s horse. I wanted this so much, for this horse to win the Triple Crown for the people of America.”

If the Belmont had been open only to horses than ran in the Derby and Preakness, there would have been just three horses in Saturday’s race, making it unlikely the third-largest crowd of 102,199 would have shown up or that a record $19,105,877 would have been wagered on-track.

California Chrome, General a Rod and Ride On Curlin were the only horses to run in all three. General a Rod finished seventh in the Belmont and Ride On Curlin did not finish.

California Chrome beat them both, but finished tied for fourth, possibly as a result of a cut foot that he apparently sustained after bumping another horse leaving the starting gate.

“He’ll be able to race again,” Coburn said

More in Sports

Hall-of-Fame voter says Edgar Martinez worthy of induction

The Mariner great is one of 10 players ex-Herald baseball writer Kirby Arnold voted for this year

Jr. Silvertips try to nail down league title

Everett’s 16U midget team can clinch the crown this weekend in Minnesota.

‘Braveheart’ helps UW men’s basketball salvage road trip

The film rejuvenated the Huskies, who beat Colorado on Saturday after Thursday’s loss at Utah.

Monroe High’s Monique Fierke looks for the basket during drills at practice on Thursday, Jan. 18, 2018 in Monroe, Wa. Fierke is the leading scorer for the Bearcats. (Andy Bronson / The Herald)
Q&A with Monroe’s Monique Fierke

It didn’t take long for Monique Fierke to make a good impression… Continue reading

Monday’s prep stars of the night

Paris Smith, Cascade bowling Smith, a junior, rolled a 383 series with… Continue reading

BLOG: Fonteyne, Hart feted while Sutter and Wylie earn recognition

The Everett Silvertips didn’t skate Monday. But the organization still turned in… Continue reading

Everett Jr. Silvertips 16U standings, stats and schedule

Here’s the details about the team in first place heading into the NAPHL’s final weekend.

POLL: Evaluating the Seahawks’ assistant coaching changes

Which change — offensive coordinator, offensive line coach, defensive coordinator — is biggest?

Monday’s prep results

Here are Monday’s prep results, with links to recaps: BOYS BASKETBALL Wesco… Continue reading

Most Read