Everett AquaSox beat Tri-City Dust Devils 3-0 in 14-inning marathon

  • Sat Jul 31st, 2010 12:17am
  • Sports

Herald staff

PASCO — Somebody eventually had to score.

Kevin Mailloux made sure it was Everett that found the scoreboard.

Mailloux sent a ball to the gap that led to three runs, and the Everett AquaSox won a pitching marathon by defeating the Tri-City Dust Devils 3-0 Friday night in 14 innings.

The game was scoreless through 13 innings with the teams combining for a measly five hits over that span. Tri-City pitchers combined to strike out 23 Everett batters during those 13 innings while Sox pitchers twice had strings of 14 consecutive batters retired.

But Everett finally found the breakthrough in the 14th. Terry Serrano walked to lead off and Robbie Anston followed with an infield single, bringing Mailloux to the plate.

A wild pitch allowed the runners to move up. Mailloux then lined a ball into the left-center gap, both runners scoring and Mailloux chugging into third for a triple. Then the throw into third got away from the defense and trickled into the dugout, allowing Mailloux to score, too.

Sox pitchers Edlando Seco, Willy Kesler, Stephen Pryor and Ogui Diaz combined on the 14-inning blanking. Seco allowed two hits in six innings, then Kesler, Pryor and Diaz threw eight innings of no-hit ball. Diaz earned the win, improving to 3-1.

The victory was the first of the second half of the Northwest League season for Everett (1-2 second half, 28-13 overall). It also ended the Sox’s two-game losing streak.

Samuel Deduno, Brad McAtee, Josh Slaats, Kraig Sitton and Clint Tilford combined for 13 scoreless innings for Tri-City (2-1, 19-22) before the Sox struck in the 14th. Tilford, who had tossed three scoreless innings, took the loss to drop to 3-2.

Neither team could get anything going offensively through the game’s first eight innings.

Tri-City nearly won it in the bottom of the ninth when, with two out and runners on first and second, Dustin Garneau sent a soft liner to center. However, Sox center fielder Robbie Anston rushed in and made a diving catch, keeping the game scoreless and sending it to extra innings.