By Aaron Lommers Herald Writer
With the National Lacrosse League playoffs kicking off this Saturday, this is my final power rankings from the regular season.
1. Toronto Rock (10-6), The Rock finished with the league’s best record and thus are deserving of the top spot, though I’m not saying I’m predicting them to win the championship.
2. Calgary Roughnecks (9-7), Came up with a big win on the final day of the regular season to clinch the West Division championship.
3. Washington Stealth (9-7), Probably played their most complete game of the season in a victory over Philadelphia in the regular season finale. The win also earned the Stealth a home playoff game.
4. Edmonton Rush (9-7), Not only did losing to Calgary cost the Rush the home-field advantage throughout the postseason, it also cost them a home-playoff game.
5. Rochester Knighthawks (8-8), Knighthawks finished at .500 this season, but goalkeeper Matt Vinc should give them a puncher’s chance to defend thier championship.
6. Colorado Mammoth (7-9), The Mammoth have been overlooked for much of the season, could be a dangerous first-round opponent for Calgary.
7. Philadelphia Wings (7-9), The Wings didn’t look good in their regular-season finale against the Stealth and cost themselves a home-playoff game.
8. Minnesota Swarm (7-9), The Swarm got into the playoffs by virtue of finishing with a better record than the No. 4 seed in the East. Face a tough first-round test in Toronto, but the West has been better than the East all season. Minnesota could pull off the upset here.
9. Buffalo Bandits (6-10), How amazing is the parody in this league? The Bandits could have clinched a home playoff game with a win in the finale, instead, they missed the postseason.